MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.

Article about: These are the only photos I have of the helmet and cover so apologies if they aren’t greatly detailed. What are peoples opinions on this one from the photos, good or bad? It seems to have

Default Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.

These are the only photos I have of the helmet and cover so apologies if they aren’t greatly detailed. What are peoples opinions on this one from the photos, good or bad? It seems to have the correct/period helmet cover clips. Any information appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.   Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.  

Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.   Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.  

Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.   Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.
    P
    Many

?

Hi Tinhatman, the material for this cover seems modern specially on the last two photos, the black hooks don't match the other clip's metallic components.
    The early models of clips were aluminium painted black, as the war progressed other metals were utilized without blackening process.
    Good quality cotton duck was the initial material used for the covers, during the later part of the war the textile quality was greatly affected, coarse & crude materials had to be used.
    The supply was so bad forcing the men to keep their old covers until they fell apart!
    My verdict: I believe it's a bad cover.
    Jack

MAP
    ?

Would need much better photos. These covers cost more than most helmets.

Please compare to my example

Waffen SS Camo Helmet Cover

But from what little I can see I'm not a fan.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Jack, Thankyou for the detailed response. I thought I may have been on to quite a bargain but as usually transpires, if something seems to good to be true then it usually is. I did think the black on the clips didn’t match the condition of the other part of the clip but was trying to pursuance myself that it was ok. Thanks again.

Thanks MAP, yes I can see now from your photos that the material is completely different. Were they always made from that similar fabric? I see that the fabric on the cover I posted when you enlarge the photo is almost like small triangles.

MAP
    ?

I do not know if there are original examples that use the HBT Herringbone style fabric (I do not think so). But it is critical to pay attention to the construction. The stitching patterns are very important and are quite different than my original example.

Also look at this one on Kelly's site.

Waffen-SS Camouflage Helmet Cover, Oakleaf - SS-Steel

Also some info here

Waffen-SS Helmet Covers - At The Front

Here are some key things to look at

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Tinhatman, you are wise to have asked for opinions on the Forum. I wasn't sure to give my 5 cent at first because I lack experience with WW2 German's covers. But with the cover you posted it's textile material caught my attention immediately. With the help of a good book, Camouflage uniforms of the Waffen-SS (Schiffer 1995) I was confident enough to give my opinion. MAP opinion & advice are precious, his example of cover is absolutely marvellous (thanks for the link MAP).
    Jack

Many thanks for the information and photos MAP, it’s blatantly a copy, which I’d have had no idea about without your help, so Thankyou.

- - ------- - -

I shall have a look for a copy of that book Jack, Thankyou.

Here are a couple of dug relic clips for reference (all alloy )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.   Thoughts on this helmet and cover please.  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "