Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Transitional M18

Article about: M18 Transitional helmet from the 18. Infanterie-Division /18. Panzergrenadier-Division. This was kept in a loft for the last 70 plus years. Liner is stamped on the 1931 and also has the earl

Default Transitional M18

M18 Transitional helmet from the 18. Infanterie-Division /18. Panzergrenadier-Division. This was kept in a loft for the last 70 plus years. Liner is dated 1931 on the Leather and also has the early steel tabs for securing the leather to the band . The decal can been seen under the camouflage paint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Transitional M18   Transitional M18  

Transitional M18   Transitional M18  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Transitional M18
    P
    Many

Can you tell us more about the loft , did you find it yourself? Or the seller told you ?
    Can we see a full liner photo too.

Standard house loft , I can get pictures if you need them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Transitional M18  

Did you want pictures of the loft or just a general description of it. Hope this will help you give an opinion on the actual helmet.

Quote by Haltsign45 View Post
    Did you want pictures of the loft or just a general description of it. Hope this will help you give an opinion on the actual helmet.
    Just want to know the provenance of the helmet , if you got it from a seller that told you or if you pulled it of a loft yourself makes a difference.
    Is the liner band steel , the D rings are not what I expect on such an early one.

Appears to be a Bell L manufactured shell. While I’m not seeing anything that looks obviously contrived or designed to deceive, I’m on the fence based on these photos. Camouflaged transitionals are not that often seen which would make this quite a rare example however that does not necessarily mean it is not original.

Do you know where this division fought and does the camo compare with other camos from those theatres? A few things to investigate.

Perhaps one I’d prefer to inspect in hand.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Is the liner band steel , the D rings are not what I expect on such an early one.
    Hard to see from the photo, but it looks a little thick to be steel. If it is an early single band aluminum, the D rings are similar to my very early single aluminum band M35. My band is one of the very early (Pre-31?, Pre-Patent?) undated examples.

The leather is also very early having the helmet size in the embossed oval. Later "early' oval embossed (vs ink stamped) leather liners switched to show the liner size (from what I have observed in researching mine)

Here is a link and photo of mine....

M35 DD SE 64 Heer Overpaint - with some history

Transitional M18
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The Division was in Poland , France, Eastern Front and finally Berlin with some managing to fight their way out of Berlin to avoid falling to the Russians.

A helmet should be able to speak for itself, I do not buy a helmet on the story. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this liner configuration for this type of transitional helmet.

This helmet on German helmet vault used as an example, what’s the provenance ? If none is it fake then.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Transitional M18  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast