Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown german helmet from WW2

Article about: Hello I dont know which type of helmet this is It is like a mixture of M18 and M34 early version I hope someone can help to identify it and who used it I found the helmet first overpainted a

Default Unknown german helmet from WW2

Hello
    I dont know which type of helmet this is
    It is like a mixture of M18 and M34 early version
    I hope someone can help to identify it and who used it
    I found the helmet first overpainted and after I have washed the complete overpainted colour away I saw this black colour
    In the Internet this helmet were only in green paint to find
    This says to me that it was from the FLP, but no necktapes were at the liner to hold the neckleather.
    I hope someone of you know which helmet this is and can tell me more about it
    regards
    Bavarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown german helmet from WW2   Unknown german helmet from WW2  

Unknown german helmet from WW2   Unknown german helmet from WW2  

Unknown german helmet from WW2   Unknown german helmet from WW2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown german helmet from WW2
    P
    Many

It's an M34 helmet with so-called 'pepperpot' vents, commonly used by Fire Police units. I couldn't tell you any more than that, unfortunately. The exterior of the shell appears to have been stripped back to bare metal. Going on the garishly painted inner rim, and the faint peace symbol on the forehead, I'd say this one was painted up in a 'Hippie' colour scheme at some point, before a previous owner partially restored it.

EDIT: It appears that the photos show two helmets. The above remains true for the first. The second appears to have been messed with a good deal less, and would be the one I'd pick out of the two.

Regards, B.B.

it is the same helmet overpainted and after I wash the overpaint away

Apologies for not reading your initial post more carefully! You've done a remarkable job in regards to removing the paint. The black underneath is the correct colour for a helmet of this type. You've taken it from being something ruined by postwar paint, to a piece that would look fine on any helmet collector's shelf. A shame someone decided to ruin it in the first place!

Regards, B.B.

The helmet have 3 and not 4 rievets to hold the chinstrap and the liner and then it cant used by firepolice, because it have no rievets in the Liner to hold the neckleather
    The only Information i found About this helmet was that it was a lightweight helmet for commercial manufacture for RLB
    But i dont know if ist true

Quote by Bavarian View Post
    The helmet have 3 and not 4 rievets to hold the chinstrap and the liner and then it cant used by firepolice, because it have no rievets in the Liner to hold the neckleather
    The only Information i found About this helmet was that it was a lightweight helmet for commercial manufacture for RLB
    But i dont know if ist true
    The Luftschutz used a wide variety of protective headwear, besides their issued 'gladiator' helmets. Essentially anything they could get hold of. It's common to encounter helmets from occupied countries, painted black, with Luftschutz decals added. You will occasionally even see captured Soviet helmets that have been given the same treatment. I'm not a helmet guy, so won't try to specify any further. I know the limits of my knowledge, and this is unfortunately where it ends.

Regards, B.B.

It could have been used by any of the civil servant arms. It is a nice example of one of the less common M34 shell styles. Jim G.