Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions

Article about: Posting this for a friend. Would love your thoughts. Photos are poor quality. And have asked for a close up of the decal. So a WW2 era Vulcan Fiber Parade? Or post war. Or could it even be m

MAP
    ?

Excellent info Jim. Thanks.

My friend has decided to pass.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions
    P
    Many

Thanks Jim, that is one helmet I have not come across before! As for the one in hand, I think your friend is wise to pass on it Michael (unless it is as cheap as chips just for a rare reference) as it looks messed with to me. Looking closer at the National shield it appears to have had it's right edge "trimmed" to fit it between the rivet heads? Also on blowing up the image the white edges possibly show the bad old saw tooth, but that may well just be down to the pixel size of the image. Either way, not one I would pay to much for. Leon.

Hi Mike, I was able to find the pictures of my example. Here they are. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions   Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions  

Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions   Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions  

?

Get info. I have never seen one of these.
    Seeing that the chin straps attach to the liner. What is the purpose of the horizontal slots on the skirt?

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Thanks Jim. Excellent photos. And a good comparison.

(BTW..you Inbox is full...I sent you an email).

Leon: Great analysis. Wish I had better photos.

Phil: I am told that it is unknown what the slots are for. The two theories I have heard is a) to carry on you pack or b) to improve hearing.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Phil, some of the other prototype models did not have the slots. Purpose of the slots? Unknown. I also should add that the chin straps on the real examples of the Type III that I have seen are green and have a carbine clip. These features are absent in the thread starter and these absences are additional red flags. Mike's buddy is wise to pass in my humble opinion. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi Mike, I was able to find the pictures of my example. Here they are. Jim G.
    A super and interesting helmet Jim, it's amazing how that VF looks like rusted metal when exposed and the decals on your example are completely different (and correct ) from the thread starter as is the paintwork. Thanks for showing it. Leon.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    Hi Phil, some of the other prototype models did not have the slots. Purpose of the slots? Unknown. I also should add that the chin straps on the real examples of the Type III that I have seen are green and have a carbine clip. These features are absent in the thread starter and these absences are additional red flags. Mike's buddy is wise to pass in my humble opinion. Jim G.

I spoke to someone who has seen the thread starter in person and was advised that the liner is correct, and that the chinstrap is indeed green. He said that the Heer decal is a Strache, but appeared, in his opinion, to have been applied post War. He said that it appeared to him that the original Heer decal had been scraped off, and that the Strache was applied over the remnants of that decal. He also said that the tri color is not a decal, it is painted on to the shell. So, based upon his first hand observations, it seems that the shell, liner and chin strap are real, but the decals are suspect and due to these liabilities the value of the piece is compromised. Jim G.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Jim for going the extra mile! Really appreciate it!

?

Rare examples of the experimental helmets which were tested to replace the old M16 and M18. Introduced by Reichswehr in 1933 they were altered to Wehrmacht when the new national emblems had been introduced in 1934.
    These helmets had been designed to carry metal shields but application of transfer shields was more easy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions   Vulcan Fiber Helmet - Questions  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast