Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

We need a real helmet decal reference section!

Article about: Not a bad idea at all Dan. Anything land yet btw?

Default We need a real helmet decal reference section!

I'd like to propose an old idea for the moderators to allow us to create a "Real Decal Thread" for educational purposes in the Steel Helmets section. We already have a Fake Decal Gallery and a Fake Steel Helmets section, but these threads in my opinion are not very useful.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I have been posting a ton of fake decals in the GHW fakes forum since 2006 , where they are divided by branch.
    Yes they can be helpful at times but there are so many fake variants , more than there are original decals that it really pays off to study those instead.

Just a tip...
    I think this is a valid argument. I personally would like to have the Real Decal thread built in a similar way as Doug's SS Runic Decal Reference Section that is located at this link: SS Runic Decal Reference Section

If we could have a Decal Reference Section covering Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Tricolor, Party Shield, Police, etc... that would be

What are everybody else's thoughts on this?

Regards,
    Corey
    Last edited by Sir Payne; 10-15-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: change title

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement We need a real helmet decal reference section!
    P
    Many

Default Re: We need a real helmet decal reference section!

I agree. It's good to know fake decals, but if you KNOW your authentic decals, but I think it's more important to know your authentic decals.

Yep a good idea Corey. The more info we have in one place the better.

I was thinking something organized like this: with plenty of pictures of original decals for comparison/educational purposes

................ .......................... .................................

Heer Decal Reference:

Q (Bigfoot)

The name Bigfoot derives from the unique shape of the Eagle's foot. This particular decal is exclusive to Quist helmets. If you ever find a "Bigfoot" on any shell other then a Q, run the other way. Bigfoot decals are always Heer, but they are not the sole Heer decal found on factory Q Heer helmets. etc etc etc...

?

Yes I agree. If guys want to start the pictures must be of a standard that is high quality. No commentary please as these will be reference threads not comment threads. Just post your decal in the correct "section" which I will pin. To start a section make the title the correct decal name like the above example and post at least an 800x600 photo in focus with no flash glare and head on picture. Pictures not meeting the criteria will be deleted as will superfluous commentary or else it's useless as a reference.

Make sense?

Thanks Doug, that works for me.

I think I understand what you are saying about the 'sections', I'll go ahead and try to make one section for a Pocher Heer decal. Just delete it if it's not right.

Corey

Great idea, that way if anyone is considering say an EF lid then the reference will let them know what they should expect to see in the decals.

Great idea Guys, I'm sure this will be of benefit to all of us who are still trying to tell their Arse from their elbow when it comes to Decals.

Phill.

I think a subsection for "Original Decal Reference Section" further divided by branch > Heer / KM / etc a la GHW would make the forum less cluttered, it's going to get pretty full pretty fast with all the branches, and variants of branches

I'll start a Luft thread today I think, this is a very cool idea that will move our little corner of the forum forward

Can we also think about a sticky for Helmet maker I.D.s by 'SHAPE'?
    Many would be familiar with the sketches that show the slight differences between makers ( skirt flare shape, bill swoop, vent position etc.. ) but it would be a good companion to the decal I.D. in those cases where the stamping cannot be read and the maker is unclear to cross check a decal against ....Yes?
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast