Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

What do you think of this one? (Camouflaged police M42)

Article about: This police M42 was in an online auction that closed tonight. Only one photo of it (see below) was posted. Now, I'm relatively new to collecting German helmets, so I was wondering what you a

Default What do you think of this one? (Camouflaged police M42)

This police M42 was in an online auction that closed tonight. Only one photo of it (see below) was posted. Now, I'm relatively new to collecting German helmets, so I was wondering what you all think about it. To my eye, the strap looks too new and party decal looks wrong in shape, so I think they are reproductions (i.e. fakes). The chips in the camouflage paint seem too uniformly spread about, with the wear looking unnatural to me, so I'm leaning towards the paint finish being fake, too. I hope so, anyway, because if the helmet is genuine then I really missed out!

What do you think of this one? (Camouflaged police M42)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you think of this one? (Camouflaged police M42)
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Sorry. I wouldn't touch this helmet with a 10 foot barge pole. 20 foot based on this one photo.

Uneven wear and forced dirt/patina.

Sorry. But your not really missing out on anything here.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I’m relieved to hear this, MAP! Guess I need to trust my instincts more.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Hallibag View Post
    I’m relieved to hear this, MAP! Guess I need to trust my instincts more.
    I'm always happy to be proven wrong. But I don't like it at all. More and better photos would confirm of course. I couldn't guess on the decal. Couldn't expand the photo. I need to study/compare these party shield decals to form an opinion.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Agree with MAP this one doesn’t look good from these images. Has all of the hall marks of an original shell pimped up for extra $$ but of course better photos would seal it.

Anyway, you’re observations were good and you’re on the right path!

Andy

What MAPS trying to say... if I may .... is that he would touch it with a 30 foot barge pole though

CBH
    ?

People selling genuine items post more then one photo.
    It usually means they are hiding something if you get limited or poor quality images.
    You can't buy a pig in a bag, as my Nan used to say.

never buy a German helmet from one photo.

Good advice, to not buy a helmet from one photo. In this case, I entertained the idea of doing so only because the price was so low (an hour before the auction closed, bidding was at just $180 Canadian). As for photos, there was over a thousand lots in this auction, and almost all had only one photo. I knew there was a good chance the helmet was bad, but then there was the tiniest chance it was good and, if it was, it would have been a score. Anyway, in the end, it sold for about $500 with fees and taxes.

Quote by Hallibag View Post
    Good advice, to not buy a helmet from one photo. In this case, I entertained the idea of doing so only because the price was so low (an hour before the auction closed, bidding was at just $180 Canadian). As for photos, there was over a thousand lots in this auction, and almost all had only one photo. I knew there was a good chance the helmet was bad, but then there was the tiniest chance it was good and, if it was, it would have been a score. Anyway, in the end, it sold for about $500 with fees and taxes.
    That tiny chance if it was good could only be verified with more photos. Don't hope for hidden treasures in this hobby.
    Unless you search the woodwork yourself, finding good German helmets dirt cheap is a bit like chasing the Loch Ness monster.