Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Winter camo M42 : real or fake ?

Article about: Hello everyone, Just found this helmet for sale, anyone has expertise on these kinds of helmets and tell me if the shell looks good ? What i found is weird is that the place were the rivets

Question Winter camo M42 : real or fake ?

Hello everyone,

Just found this helmet for sale, anyone has expertise on these kinds of helmets and tell me if the shell looks good ?
    What i found is weird is that the place were the rivets would be is also painted, meaning it was painted without the rivets, however some people said it happened sometimes...

Photos are bad but that's everything i've got ... helmet was supposedly found in a barn in summer 1975 in villers la bonne eau ( near Bastogne )

Thanks in advance !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Winter camo M42 : real or fake ?
    P
    Many

Does appear from the blurred photos that it was painted after the liner was removed. Looks to be a very thin coat over bare steel, doubt there was any original paint left when it got repainted.

Get better photos.

i'll try to get better photos but the guy who's selling it is not answering yet ... Also it seems I accidentaly made two posts for this helmet, don't know how to delete the other one, would appreciate if anyone knows how to remove a post so that I can keep the section a bit cleaner

M38
    ?

Odds are this was a post war repaint, although done long ago for whatever reason. Not necessarily done to deceive, just painted white for some purpose. The paint around the rivet holes is a big red flag to me. As said, better pictures are a must.

Cheers,
    Terry

I painted a shell once just like that, easy to do with chalk and a brush. Would never trust a winter camouflage.