Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please

Article about: Hi everyone just bought this helmet stamped ET66 named the paper label has R.B.DOUGLAS 11th TANK CORPS HINDENBURG LINE 1918 the liner band seems wider than I’ve seen before but then I’ve

Default WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please

Hi everyone just bought this helmet stamped ET66 named the paper label has R.B.DOUGLAS 11th TANK CORPS HINDENBURG LINE 1918 the liner band seems wider than I’ve seen before but then I’ve not seen that many if someone could give me information on the authenticity would be much appreciated
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please   WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please  

WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please   WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please  

WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please   WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 M 16 I need help authenticating this helmet please
    P
    Many

Hi Dean,

Congratulations on picking up a beautiful helmet in original condition What you have is an original M16 with a leather liner band. All M16’s had a leather liner band until the steel band was introduced to the M16 shell in 1917. When the M18 came out in 1918 the liner band was removed completely in favour of riveted chinstrap bails. Looks like the liner string may have been replaced at some stage but that doesn’t detract in any way. While the storage hasn’t been the best it’s still a real time capsule piece and indeed the helmet may have lain on the battlefield for months prior to being picked up but we’ll never know.

This is a superb original example literally dripping with history. Beautifully named to the original owner, the soldier who found it in the battlefield and the location. Not surprising that was picked up by someone connected with tanks as the allies sent a large number of tanks to the Hindenburg line in 1918 in order to break through. I think this one could have some great potential for further research as well. See if you can gently look behind the liner pads in case there are any names etc but if they are too stiff don’t proceed as the pads can break away very easily.

Congratulations once again on a great score your instinct was good. This is something I’d love to have in my collection.

Andy

Beautiful helmet! I cant lie, i´m almost jealous, its a beautiful pice, with exactly the amount of rust and age i like!

Well done!

?

What Andy said . Rob

I want thank Andy for is wonderful comments and all you gents that commented on this piece I’m made up and it will stand proudly in my collection i will post some of my other historical WW2 Helmets and one Heer M43 cap that I’m unsure about because it’s in mint condition in the near future thanks again

Holy smokes that's a keeper!