Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German Helmet - Thoughts?

Article about: Recently came into possession of this helmet and a flag I will also be posting. I wanted to get thoughts on this helmet first as to originality. It has a stamp inside which is "219"

Default WW2 German Helmet - Thoughts?

Recently came into possession of this helmet and a flag I will also be posting. I wanted to get thoughts on this helmet first as to originality. It has a stamp inside which is "219". My knowledge on WW2 German militaria is only basic, so I appreciate any opinions and input on this. I don't have any special story to go with it or the flag I will also post on the appropriate section beyond that these came from the estate of an elderly gentleman who was into aviation model aircraft. Thank you in advance for your replies. I am interested in getting opinions on originality and perhaps value as I am planning to sell this, but I wanted to get feedback on this first. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German Helmet - Thoughts?
    P
    Many

You need to shoot more photos as per forum rules as it helps evaluation. But so far it looks like a bad fake , worthless.

Photos/Information Requirements:
    Picture size: 800x600 minimum.
    Photo quality: Photos need to be clear enough to be evaluated and should be able to be expanded for proper analysis.
    Photo types: We need to see ALL aspects of a helmet. One photo cannot tell the whole story.
    - Front, sides, top and back
    - Clear "straight on" photos of the decals
    - Liner and Chinstrap
    - Closeups of any distinguishing features such as personalizations, camo, chinstrap markings.
    Lot Number and Maker is required if visible.
    Picture hosting sites are prohibited.
    Links are allowed but only if accompanied with photos.

As stated above looks like a bad one, DD M40’s are very uncommon and looking at the inside paint and liner I’d say this was a reissued Norwegian helmet, post war painted and repro decals added.

Ok. Thank you, guys. I did think at the very least the paint on the outside looked much newer compared to the interior. I didn't know Norway produced helmets like this. Thank you for the input.

They didn’t produce them, they acquired them after the war and painted them and installed those red dyed liners.

Quote by Rumrunner View Post
    Ok. Thank you, guys. I did think at the very least the paint on the outside looked much newer compared to the interior. I didn't know Norway produced helmets like this. Thank you for the input.
    Norway did not "produce helmets like this", they are captured German helmets that have been re-furbished, and used post war.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thank you for the clarification! To summarize, it looks like an M40 helmet that was refurbished postwar as Norwegian military issue, and then later at some point, someone decided to paint it in an attempt to make it look like an early war German helmet.

love the taped in liner! .... must have been a late war 'ersatz thing' ......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    As stated above looks like a bad one, DD M40’s are very uncommon and looking at the inside paint and liner I’d say this was a reissued Norwegian helmet, post war painted and repro decals added.
    100% wrong! Inside Norwegian green, outside new paint, poor decals, dark red/brown liner and what's with the tape?

I hope you didn't pay much for it but whatever you paid was too much.

Don't buy such things until you have become confident you have learned what to look for and even then post here first until you become "expert". This one is bad from 50 paces away!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."