Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

KVP & NVA Leistungsabzeichen

Article about: I've had some very interesting finds on eBay de in recent weeks, and the first lot was a group of Urkunde to 'Hauptmann Reinhard Vogelsang' who originally joined up - presumably in the 'Haup

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Here's my first type Leistungsabzeichen with 'Staatswappen' added later, There are two clear strikes on the back where the badge was punched.Cheers, Steve
    That is interesting Steve, I wonder if the double strike indicates some kind of "hand held" element in the process?

I find these badges intriguing as they almost seem to carry "personality" or "character". I think that the rarity of the pre-1960 badges ie without the Staatswappen can be largely explained by the fact that when the new design was promulgated an order was issued to the effect that all serving holders of the old design were to surrender their badge and draw a replacement of the new design. That in itself would not explain the rarity of course but it seems that the retro-stamping of the Staatswappen was not a matter of using up stocks of the old design (I am sure that may have been part of it) but was done to allow the holder to retain his original serial numbered badge which would be desirable in the case of numbered Urkunden. This was done by de-soldering the pin from the back of the badge, retro-stamping the Staatswappen then re-soldering the pin. This accounts for apparently excessive solder "stains" on some of these badges.
    I imagine that if the badge were to be returned to the right soldier without great logistic effort and delay this would have to have been a fairly local process.

I believe that the serial numbering of the badge was deleted in the 1960 design. Can anybody confirm that?
    The final version of this badge appeared in 1984 and was copper plated steel. It was a very poor substitute for the older bronze badges.

Here's a family photo!

KVP & NVA LeistungsabzeichenKVP & NVA Leistungsabzeichen

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-10-2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KVP & NVA Leistungsabzeichen
    P
    Many

I read somewhere but typically can't remember where that the Leistungsabzeichen der Grenztruppen der DDR with the loop attachement rather than a pin was awarded to collectives rather than individuals and was attached to a presentation mounting/case. Can any one provide more info?

I recently found one sewn onto a GT "gala" uniform jacket. It had apparently been "re-purposed" and an attempt to solder a pin to it had obviously faile judging by the scratches and solder residue before something like fuse wire had been wrapped around the loop and filled with solder. No idea why anybody would do that but I managed to remove the mess and it now looks pretty much as it should.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-10-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2