Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M56/66 helmet?

Article about: Hi all, I'm considering picking up this helmet, but I wanted to post it here first to get some opinions. I was interested because it has the three exterior rivets of the M56 model, but clear

Default M56/66 helmet?

Hi all,

I'm considering picking up this helmet, but I wanted to post it here first to get some opinions. I was interested because it has the three exterior rivets of the M56 model, but clearly has the more modern liner of the M56/76. Is this one of the "M56/66" variations put together during the transition to the new helmet model? If I'm reading them right, the stamp in the helmet shell would line up with the shells used in that transition, but the stamp in the liner with the "F" code would be way later than I would expect for that transitional model. Does everything look as it should for a helmet of that type? Or is there anything I am overlooking?

Thanks for all help and opinions!

M56/66 helmet?
    M56/66 helmet?
    M56/66 helmet?
    M56/66 helmet?
    M56/66 helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M56/66 helmet?
    P
    Many

Hi,

It does appear to be a M56/66 transitonal shell. The rivets were unnecessary for the updated liner system on the 76 variation.

East Germany M56/66 - Brendon's Helmets

Everything looks fine - And the foam looks to be in unusually good condition too

Thanks for the replies! I wasn’t sure with the “F” stamp in the liner…I believe that’s the letter code for 1979, which seemed awfully recent for a liner worked into the older shells. Wouldn’t you expect to see date stamps closer to the 60s for those liners? Or do you often see the “M56/66” hybrids with liners that new?

?

Hello, this helmet's shell was manufactured in 1962. In 1966 or soon after it was modified by removing the 3 split pins & closing their holes with rivets. Next step was to install 6 new connectors inside the shell for the new designed liners, so this M56 helmet was modified & became a M56/66 simular to the new ones except that you see the three rivets. Helmet liners are replaced from time to time for different reasons, it's normal. The M56/76 was manufactured with a thicker crown, you cannot see the difference by looking at it. FYI it is easy to find M56 helmets on Ebay.de (Germany) for a decent price.

Jack

Hello,

"M56 helmet with interior 66" (official name). Modified from 1967.

The interior is late/last model.
    This was made in 1980 (=E).
    or F? = 1979.

Regards
    Last edited by Sleepwalker; 01-20-2024 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the info/advice. In talks with the seller now, so I’ll post some more pics here if I end up getting it! I guess the next step will be to track down one of those rain pattern covers…