Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

NVA Type M56 x2 for opinion please

Article about: Good evening gents, I have just acquired two NVA M56 stahlhelm and would value a little feedback from those who have more knowledge of these than I; The first is what might be called a "

Default NVA Type M56 x2 for opinion please

Good evening gents,

I have just acquired two NVA M56 stahlhelm and would value a little feedback from those who have more knowledge of these than I;

The first is what might be called a "barn find". It is is pretty good condition for all that and the leather is a little hard but not cracked or torn anywhere so I think a little Fiebings 4 Way will work wonders. It all looks fairly standard and the shell is clearly marked;

II

I think I am correct that the II is a shell size and I guess the 60 is the year but what is the three?

NVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion please

The other appears brand new and unissued. The shell marking is not so clear but looks like;
    II
    ?
    6?

This one has cheek pads like the type M74 but they are stiched on rather than the more usual "slotted" type.

NVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion please

All opinions welcome.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NVA Type M56 x2 for opinion please
    P
    Many

Both nice quite early lids, the II is indeed the shell size and the two digit number is as you say the year of manufacture, the middle number "3" on the first lid is the month it was made, March!...
    the second lid looks like it's 61!..

Thanks for that, I was leaning towards the month for the single digit and the 2nd lid looked like 61 to me as well. I just wanted to see if anybody would agree

Anyone have any input concerning the chinstrap cheek pieces sticthed to the 2nd lid setup?

Some kind of transitional design perhaps or a type in its own right?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

As far as i know all the early lids had the stitched on "cheek pieces" , they look like they are missing from the 1960 lid, later helmets had the cheek pieces slotted onto the straps rather than stitched!..

That makes sense. I thought that the early lids didn't have them at all and that they were a later addition. The progression to the slotted type would suggest (along with so many early lids missing the pads) that the stiched ones had a tendancy to break loose in wear. I wonder now that I am not already aware of this but I guess it was a detail that was not so important when we were staring at these guys accross the IGB / Berlin Wall
    Funny how a collectors eye changes the view

Regards

Mark

No1 after a little TLC!

The name written in the Liner is Adolf Wolf!!!

Regards

Mark

NVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion pleaseNVA Type M56 x2 for opinion please