Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Some East German Stuff

Article about: I recently found myself on another East German kick! I ended up buying some cool things and thought I would share them with you guys. First off I assembled a Grenztruppen field uniform. I wa

Default Some East German Stuff

I recently found myself on another East German kick! I ended up buying some cool things and thought I would share them with you guys.

First off I assembled a Grenztruppen field uniform. I was able to buy all of the uniform pieces 'except the camera' from surplus sites for really cheap prices. The camera is an authentic "Praktica" East German produced example. This is the same type of camera border guards would use in the field.

I also managed to find a pair of blumentarn two cell magazine pouches. You can sometimes find the three cell examples every now and then, but the two cell pouches are known to be pretty rare. I was really exited to find these! I think the early Blumentarn stuff is really cool.

Lastly I show a large chunk of the Berlin Wall. I’ve been wanting to get a nice piece of the wall for awhile now, but unfortunately the market is flooded with those tiny pieces they sell to tourists in Germany today. I’ve heard that most of those gift shop examples are painted after the fact too. The piece I have is about the size of my hand, and appears to be a true section from the walls surface. I was told from the seller that this was brought back by a U.S. solider stationed in Germany who was present during the collapse of the wall. The seller claims to still be friends with the man who brought the chunk back, and told me he would get me the man’s contact information. I’m hoping I can get ahold of the guy. If I can’t this will just be a story.

Best regards- Jarret
    Some East German Stuff Some East German StuffSome East German StuffSome East German StuffSome East German Stuff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some East German Stuff
    P
    Many

?

Very Nice.
    I love that chunk of wall. A real treasure.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice lot Jarret the camera is a ripper!

A very nice set up, and those Praktica camera's were damned good too! I used one for quite a few years and got cracking results from it.

I used to have a Praktica the same model as that, great camera and cheap. Love the other stuff too.

Great pick ups Jarett, the DDR gear has a 'draw' to it !
    Cheers
    Paul

[QUOTE=Luftwaffe 1941;2060221]I recently found myself on another East German kick! I ended up buying some cool things and thought I would share them with you guys.

First off I assembled a Grenztruppen field uniform. I was able to buy all of the uniform pieces 'except the camera' from surplus sites for really cheap prices. The camera is an authentic "Praktica" East German produced example. This is the same type of camera border guards would use in the field.

I also managed to find a pair of blumentarn two cell magazine pouches. You can sometimes find the three cell examples every now and then, but the two cell pouches are known to be pretty rare. I was really exited to find these! I think the early Blumentarn stuff is really cool.

Lastly I show a large chunk of the Berlin Wall. I’ve been wanting to get a nice piece of the wall for awhile now, but unfortunately the market is flooded with those tiny pieces they sell to tourists in Germany today. I’ve heard that most of those gift shop examples are painted after the fact too. The piece I have is about the size of my hand, and appears to be a true section from the walls surface. I was told from the seller that this was brought back by a U.S. solider stationed in Germany who was present during the collapse of the wall. The seller claims to still be friends with the man who brought the chunk back, and told me he would get me the man’s contact information. I’m hoping I can get ahold of the guy. If I can’t this will just be a story.

Best regards- Jarret

Great strichtarn set up Jarret. As a few of us have said before, the DDR kit is and will continue to become more collectible. Praktika cameras were popular in UK during the '70s and I recall using ones like this at school!

One small point to note is that the blumentarn pouches are not a pair but two single left side pouches. A pair is one three and one two. Look at the way they curve then try them on a belt. If you put a curved pouch on the wrong side you will find it very difficult to get the magazines in or out. The curve should be rearwards not forward. It would also make quite a difference to lying prone!. The good thing is that the two mag pouch is much harder to find than the three!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."