Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee

Article about: Good morning gents, I was looking around for a thread concerning these medals in which to post but they all seem to be mixed up with other items (I myself might have contributed to that) and

Default Verdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee

Good morning gents,

I was looking around for a thread concerning these medals in which to post but they all seem to be mixed up with other items (I myself might have contributed to that) and I think that it is better to have all posts of a particular award regardless of grade in one thread rather than loads of separate threads. Much better for reference that way. I hope there isn't one already that I didn't find. If so, perhaps a friendly Mod could move this content?

Anyway for starters;

A 4th type Gold grade in 900 silver with Urkunde to a Oberstleutnant issued in 1961.

I find this interesting mainly because being a Lt Col in 1961 he was probably aged 40+ at least so there is a good chance he was also a WWII veteran.

This example has a crescent shape (don't believe it is a letter 'C' to the left of the 900). Does anyone know what that indicates?

A point to note with these Urkunden is that they used the same blank for all three grades with the appropriate "Gold/Silver/Bronze entered in manuscript which is why the image of the award on the Urkunde appears to be a Bronze grade (no central yellow or white stripe on the ribbon and brownish coloured medallion) even when the Urkunde relates to Gold or Silver grades.

All comments or opinion is welcome and please post any other examples of all grades and periods here for comparison so we end up with a "handy reference" in one thread.

Verdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee
    P
    Many

Nice work with this thread Mark. I don't know what the ''c'' means but I've seen it before and it's also been called a ''half moon'' shape, and apparently it only exists in this gold grade version. Hopefully someone here has a definitive answer.

-Joel

Thanks Joel, thatis a useful thing to know in determining if a medal is a genuine Gold grade that has lost all the gold plate finish or just a 900 Silver that has been put on a Gold grade ribbon.
    In English the words "Half-Moon" and "Crescent" are synonymous when describing a shape like that

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The crescent moon is a hallmark for silver (used since the 1880s).

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The crescent moon is a hallmark for silver (used since the 1880s).

Of course!

Now you mention it that was buried in the back of my mind and I had completely forgotton. It is often seen on antique "non-Sterling" marked pieces from Europe that turn up in UK auctions

Thank you for the reminder Andreas

Regards

Mark