Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Volkspolizei general cap

Article about: Hello, I found this vopo visor cap, could you help me to check if it is original or an officer cap with a general badge? Many thanks

Default Volkspolizei general cap

Hello, I found this vopo visor cap, could you help me to check if it is original or an officer cap with a general badge?
    Many thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volkspolizei general cap   Volkspolizei general cap  

Volkspolizei general cap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volkspolizei general cap
    P
    Many

The thing is, Vopo general caps are just officer caps with different insignia. There is no difference. This one looks original.

-Joel

Thank you for your answer, in the web site the marshal baton, they say that an original general cap has always a leather sweat band, while other officer is fake-leather. Difficoult to say just by pictures

I think the first thing to consider is the VoPo is more difficult than NVA to be certain of because they were not as "regimental" in the way that army officers the world over tend to be!

It is immediately clear that this looks like an issue item which is a peculiarity in generals uniforms because they were custom made but bore fairly standard nomenclature markings unlike the jacket and trousers.

This one looks like it has a leather sweatband (it would be pigskin) which is a quality feature of generals caps whereas junior ranks suffered the nasty synthetic stuff! So, if it is leather that is a good sign.

The quality of the cap cord / chin cord should be obviously higher quality than junior ranks but whilst this one looks good I can't tell for sure from pictures although in hand comparison should make it clear. The overall quality of the cap should also give a pointer.

I'm not sure about the grommets in the underneath surface of the crown as some generals caps have them whilst some do not

Overall, I think this one could be authentic and what you know of the source / circumstances may help to form an opinion. Just be careful if the seller only wants 10€

This one is 'S' 1975 dated so if it seems like it was made yesterday then it probably was. Just be aware that a generals 'best' cap may not have much sign of wear but notwithstanding that, 45 years of age has to be evident.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you for your reply, your evaluation is quite positive, on ebay they are sold often for 170/190 euros this one is cheaper but still a good price, maybe I can think to buy it