Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

West Gerrman state of Hesse fire serice visor cap

Article about: Good day, Would anyone possibly please have some information or photos regarding a potentially Cold War Hesse fire service visor that has the below shield on it. I have had one kicking aroun

RTH
    ?

Default West Gerrman state of Hesse fire serice visor cap

Good day,

Would anyone possibly please have some information or photos regarding a potentially Cold War Hesse fire service visor that has the below shield on it. I have had one kicking around for about three years, bought it in a antique shop for about £!0-20. It originally did have a fire badge on it with helmet, axe and flames but as a senseless child of twelve I removed it as I considered it aesthetically unappealing and I think it finally ended up in the place where all good badges go, alas. It was always unidentified until the other day I narrowed it down to this state. The below shield (which is the exact one on the cap) is a 1949 design by Gerhard Matzat so I reckoned that it may be Cold War? The cap is manufactured by Langenau Feuerschutz. For some reason it would seem that feuerschutz means fire protection. Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures of the actual cap now, but will do so tomorrow.

I thank in advance,

EDIT: I do apologise, the cap is navy blue with pink piping and black velvet band with black plastic chinstrap not unlike a TR NCO's chinstrao in design.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement West Gerrman state of Hesse fire serice visor cap
    P
    Many

As you say, you will need to post pictures of the cap but it does sound like West German (now just German obviously) Fire Brigade and the badge you describe sounds like the standard German Fire Brigade of the post war period.

They are collectible but not expensive, this group of four for different ranks (denoted by the chin strap/cord) sold at auction for 40 Euros.

I think you may not get many other replies as you have posted in the Nationale Volksarmee sub-forum which relates to East Germany (German Democratic Republic / Deutshe Democratische Republik / GDR/DDR) whilst as you probably realise, the state of Hesse (Hessen in English) is very much in the western part of Germany and so was in West Germany (Federal Republic of Germany aka Bunderepublik Deutschland / FRG/BRD).

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

Thank you for that. The cap I have is the one in the top left, but without the national cockade. I will post some more pictures. As to where I have posted, I am afraid I couldn't find the West German section and the search function on this computer doesn't work.

Many thanks

RTH
    ?

Here is the cap

Many thanks

Yeah post war West German fire service cap. That gray sweatband and visor backside are typical features.

The West german subforum is under the Third Reich forum. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bundeswehr-forum/

-Joel

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    Yeah post war West German fire service cap. That gray sweatband and visor backside are typical features.

The West german subforum is under the Third Reich forum. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bundeswehr-forum/

-Joel
    Quite right and the same cap was worn in all the West German Lander ie States (pronounced 'Lender'), I don't know what that badge is (apart from being the Hessian "Landeswappen" or State Emblem) but I will venture that it is not a cap badge and I can't see it being appropriate to this cap. It looks like a tourist souvenir type of thing.

I believe this is the badge (which I think you described) that should be on it;

Concerning the posting location, as Joel points out the Bundeswehr sub-forum which is right next to the Nationale Volksarmee sub-forum is the closest thing to a "West German" sub-forum and relates to the (West) German armed forces as the Nationale Volksarmee sub-forum relates to the (East) German armed forces. Neither tends to encompass the fire brigade or similar organisations although some fire brigade stuff does appear in discussions here from time to time most often via a Third Reich connection but I don't think there are many of us with much expertise in that field. Rather most militaria collectors tend to have some knowledge "by association" as fire brigade stuff is often corrupted and passed of as military.

So, by posting West German non-military stuff in an East German military sub-forum there is a kind of built in lack of response except from those of us who read (almost) every section and might just have that knowledge "by association" if that makes sense.

It's still an interesting cap and you should find the right cap badge for only a few pounds. The cheapest option would be to look in Germany. Do you have an interest in fire brigade items?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

RTH
    ?

Yes, that was the badge that was on it, thank you. Regarding the thread location I found this particular section through a different route instead of through the TR section. About fire briagde items, I'm afraid I don't have a particular interest in it, more TR items and British army WW2 and early post war. What you say about the Hesse badge, is very plausible as it is very loose. Many thanks everyone for your help everyone.