Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on this supposed "Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold"

Article about: Hello Forum, A fellow collector posted this award, someone sold it to him as a Gold version, but as these normally have solid backing, he thinks it may be a black wound bage that lost all it

Default Opinions on this supposed "Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold"

Hello Forum,

A fellow collector posted this award, someone sold it to him as a Gold version, but as these normally have solid backing, he thinks it may be a black wound bage that lost all its color.

I have read that there are disussions wether Gold hollow back versions existed, if they where late war or very early, or if they are really simply unpainted black ones, but i have no idea what to think about this one.

All help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Adravor

Opinions on this supposed "Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold"Opinions on this supposed "Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold"Opinions on this supposed "Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold"Opinions on this supposed "Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this supposed "Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold"
    P
    Many

I have heard the theory that very late in the war that black VWB stripped or unpainted were used as gold types but I have not seen any evidence to support the idea. In any case, by the time that proper gold badges were no longer avaivailable wouldn't the tombac black badges be fairly thin on the ground?

As for this one I believe I can see traces of black paint both front and back.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Agree with Mark on this one..
    It is a black vwb simply lost or stripped the black paint.

I believe that legitimate hollow gold and silver wound badges exist.

The maker "81", (Overhoff & Cie.) comes to mind, as well as L/11, (Deumer)
    But, they must be scrutinized very carefully, and you have to take a leap of faith when purchasing them. They have to be inspected in every crevice for any traces of black paint to determine if it has been painted black and removed or, are there no traces of black at all.
    I will post a couple of links to add to the discussion.
    Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber, Hollow L/11, Wilhelm Deumer
    Gold L/11 -

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

And some other examples posted in this thread by one of the Mods or the wound badge section on WAF.
    SWB Hollow back or Black badge sprayed silver? -

Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I believe that legitimate hollow gold and silver wound badges exist.

The maker "81", (Overhoff & Cie.) comes to mind, as well as L/11, (Deumer)
    But, they must be scrutinized very carefully, and you have to take a leap of faith when purchasing them. They have to be inspected in every crevice for any traces of black paint to determine if it has been painted black and removed or, are there no traces of black at all.
    I will post a couple of links to add to the discussion.
    Verwundetenabzeichen 1939 in Silber, Hollow L/11, Wilhelm Deumer
    Gold L/11 -

And some other examples posted in this thread by one of the Mods or the wound badge section on WAF.
    SWB Hollow back or Black badge sprayed silver? -

Ralph.
    This is certainly a contentious issue but not one I would be prepared to argue or even debate to any great degree because I just don't have the evidence to form a firm opinion.

As you say Ralph one would have to be very confident in the piece and see it in hand but if it cost somewhere around the same price as a black badge then I think it an acceptable risk.

The one you show to my eye has a definate gold finish and being resistant to acetone is of course a really good sign. Is it magnetic or is it brass?

However, from the pics (might be different in hand) the badge at the top of the thread seems to me to have definate traces of black paint on the obverse. The reverse is less easy to tell but I thinks there is a black hue there as well.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    However, from the pics (might be different in hand) the badge at the top of the thread seems to me to have definate traces of black paint on the obverse. The reverse is less easy to tell but I thinks there is a black hue there as well.

Regards

Mark
    I do agree with this comment, that is why my comments were in general, not really specific to this badge.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I got caught out with one of those a couple of years ago. Luckily, I only paid the price of a Black wound badge.

Verwundetenabzeichen Gold