Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber, 1st Pattern - extremly unusual catch setup

Article about: I present my tombak 1st pattern wound badge. I am not 100% sure if original but based on similar pieces on Helmut Weitze Verwundetenabzeichen 1. Modell 1939 in Silber (461136) - Allgemeine m

?

Default Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber, 1st Pattern - extremly unusual catch setup

I present my tombak 1st pattern wound badge. I am not 100% sure if original but based on similar pieces on
    Helmut Weitze Verwundetenabzeichen 1. Modell 1939 in Silber (461136) - Allgemeine militarische Auszeichnungen 2. Weltkrieg - Militaria / Helmut Weitze and
    Giels Militaria Wound badge in silver, early 1st pattern I am confident for its authenticity.

I am wondering if someone has encountered similar catch solutions as mine and can confirm the originality. Help greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber, 1st Pattern - extremly unusual catch setup   Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber, 1st Pattern - extremly unusual catch setup  

Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber, 1st Pattern - extremly unusual catch setup   Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber, 1st Pattern - extremly unusual catch setup  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber, 1st Pattern - extremly unusual catch setup
    P
    Many

?

Hello Theo,
    This is a known pattern that would normally have a sheet metal hinge. The hinge and catch on this badge have been replaced as shown by the photos of the soldering job. The style of brooch safety catch shown has been around since 1911, and taking matching patina into account, is more than likely a period repair/modification:

DATING BROOCH FASTENERS - Global Gemology - Rare Gems & Jewels

It's a nice looking badge that I would have no hesitation in owning.

Regards
    Brett

?

Thanks a lot Brett,
    do you think this kind of repair makes a badge worth more or less because of the repair?

?

The purists might frown at the modifications, but what you have here is a badge that was undoubtedly worn with pride, both during and after the war. Price and value is subjective. Your happiness with the badge is all that really matters.

Regards
    Brett

I like it too Theo.
    Value is all up to how much you want an item.
    I'd pay less than a complete unmodified badge
    All the best
    Doug

?

Thank you for your opinions.