Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen (Possible Tombak)

Article about: Hi guys Been a couple of weeks since last posting and in this time I have purchased a number of rally nice GAB and IAB (Schickle, Deumer, Mayer etc) which I really must get round to posting!

Default Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen (Possible Tombak)

Hi guys

Been a couple of weeks since last posting and in this time I have purchased a number of rally nice GAB and IAB (Schickle, Deumer, Mayer etc) which I really must get round to posting! Anyway, I have come across this Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen for sale on a UK dealers website and to me it looks like it could be a early solid tombak award? Or possible a zincer which has aged rather well?

Any how would really appreciate any opinions on this one, currently looking for a possible maker so will update if I find a match.

All the best

Cameron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen (Possible Tombak)   Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen (Possible Tombak)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen (Possible Tombak)
    P
    Many

Hi Cam,

The badge appears to be a plain old zincer by S&L, it's certainly not tombak, but the hardware is. Talking of which, this rear set up is unknown to me on their GAB's, but they were in the habit of mixing and matching a multitude of different hardware parts and using whatever was in stock at the time across the board on their badges. But this set up does make me feel a bit uneasy, maybe others can validate it.

Looking at the obverse, there is a nasty bit of damage on the eagles right wing elbow where it's missing or been gouged out. All these points would make me pass on this one unless it was dirt cheap, they're not uncommon, there's plenty of better examples around without issues, and I would pay a bit extra for one of them.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned

Thanks for you in depth response! Just curious really as the finish really had me confused.

Cheers
    Cameron

I have my reservations about this ASA too. I'll check when I get home. Stewy

good advice from Ned.I don't like it.

Only Wurster is known to have made solid tombak GABs.

HOW

One of the better fakes out there, but still a fake.