Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Is this an Original Accepted Variant of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen GAB?

Article about: Hoping to get some opinions from those more knowledgeable on this Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen. Is this an original WW2 badge and an accepted variant? Apparently it is referred to as the "

Default Is this an Original Accepted Variant of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen GAB?

Hoping to get some opinions from those more knowledgeable on this Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen. Is this an original WW2 badge and an accepted variant? Apparently it is referred to as the "Deep Pan" variant from an unknown maker? If original, how uncommon is it? Thanks, Ron

Is this an Original Accepted Variant of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen GAB?Is this an Original Accepted Variant of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen GAB?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this an Original Accepted Variant of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen GAB?
    P
    Many

?

Looks good to me Ron, compares well with other examples. It seems the round catch plate is not as common as the rectangular plate on the hollow badges.
    The name comes from the very deep outer edges of the badge.
    I like it. The eagle is one of my favourite designs, very art deco in style to my eye.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Looks good to me Ron, compares well with other examples. It seems the round catch plate is not as common as the rectangular plate on the hollow badges.
    The name comes from the very deep outer edges of the badge.
    I like it. The eagle is one of my favourite designs, very art deco in style to my eye.

Thanks Adrian. I like the design too. Very sharp details. Is this variant fairly common? I've been picking up some GAB examples for my Panzerjager display I am working on. I was lucky recently to find two different Hymmen and Co. GAB's. An early hollow tombak and a semi hollow L/53 marked. Just have to wait for them to arrive now. From what I have seen, the Hymmen badges are quite scarce. Ron

?

I don't know how rare this variant is to be honest Ron, I've seen them around on various sites but in the grand scheme of things, I couldn't say.
    Hymmen badges are not the most common maker to find. They made a quirky badge for sure. The eagle on their GABs looks like something from the Muppets in direct contrast to the deep pan example which has a great design.
    Their Minesweeper badges have a weird eagle that looks like it's facing in two directions at once.

Yes, I've heard the designs of the Hymmen badges being described as more like caricatures. I will have to see if I can find a picture of the Hymmen Minesweeper badge you mentioned. On the GAB's the feathers of the eagle seem to be no more than crisscrossed lines instead of feathers. I will post some pictures of the badges when they arrive. Sometimes takes a month or more unfortunately. The waiting is the toughest part. Ron

?

Yes! That exactly how the feathers are depicted. Along with the swollen toes and Muppet head.
    Despite the quirky designs, I do actually like their badges. They are somehow more appealing because of it.
    You should find a couple of my Minesweepers on the forum if you do a search.

Yes! That exactly how the feathers are depicted. Along with the swollen toes and Muppet head.
    Despite the quirky designs, I do actually like their badges. They are somehow more appealing because of it.
    You should find a couple of my Minesweepers on the forum if you do a search.
    I saw your Hymmen and Co. Minesweeper. The eagle does look confused

I noticed something on the Hymmen GAB I posted that gave me some concern. There appears to be defect holes on the outside of both wings. I circled the areas. Perhaps having second thoughts about getting this particular one now. Ron

Is this an Original Accepted Variant of the Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen GAB?

?

Obviously it's entirely your decision Ron but if you have a search for these badges, you do see them occasionally with excess or untidy flashing in these areas. It's not something that would put me off personally but if you're not happy with it, I'm sure another will be available.

Obviously it's entirely your decision Ron but if you have a search for these badges, you do see them occasionally with excess or untidy flashing in these areas. It's not something that would put me off personally but if you're not happy with it, I'm sure another will be available.
    Thanks Adrian. I guess when I saw the flaws, my first thought was perhaps "bad casting fake"?

?

I had a look after you highlighted it and although the one you showed has the splits in the flashing, I did see others that were for sale on respected dealer sites and on other forums that have rough areas on the wing edges.