Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber - unmarked BH Mayer ?

Article about: hello all....here is another new badge I just acquired...I thought this one looked nice and it is my first hollow back example...it is unmarked but I believe this is a BH Mayer...the eagle,

Default Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber - unmarked BH Mayer ?

hello all....here is another new badge I just acquired...I thought this one looked nice and it is my first hollow back example...it is unmarked but I believe this is a BH Mayer...the eagle, hinge, catch, brass pin and wreath all match up with my book and the database here in my eye....

I really like the way it looks but two things catch my eye....the finish on the front looks good but there is a different sheen between the sides....the other thing is that the stamping seems really light on the upper left backside, maybe that is normal as I've never had a hollowback before ...

so...I would like to share with the group and see if my maker determination is correct and also any thoughts on condition...I'm still learning but enjoy the challenge....thanks in advance for your input

front

back

pretty bird

hinge

catch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber - unmarked BH Mayer ?
    P
    Many

I think your assessment is correct.
    I normally call these Mayer/Schickle variants because I don't think anyone can say with certainty who made these.
    Sure, there is comparisons with other badges, bearing the same hardware, time frames, and other things but, I don't think anyone can state for fact, with proof.
    One of the reasons that I can think of for the difference in color is that it is a bronze grade with most of the finish being absorbed. Or, someone applied a finish that is wearing off, nicotine?
    There could be a number of possibilities.
    Mine is definitely a silver grade, and it has the same colored hardware.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph....thanks for the comments regarding this being bronze....I assumed it was a silver and now that i really look at it I see what I think are traces of the bronze wash on the upper leaf next to the bayonet and along the inner leaf veins on the left...hard to capture in a picture but here i try....I guess the right side is just in a state further along in the process...thanks again, David

Hello,

First, congrats on adding this one to your collection...

As Ralph stated, these are referred to as BH Mayer/O. Schickle ISA and who actually manufactured these is still open for debate.
    Of interest this one has the same obverse design and hardware set-up as the earlier BM variants. There is another zinc hollow with a slightly different leaf/vein pattern.

In regards to silver or bronze class, these zinc hollows are difficult to judge.
    Most examples are found with the finish completely absorbed with time.
    On top of that, some of these later war silver washes tend to turn a golden hue with age.
    This in turn gives the appearance of Bronze grade when it truly is a Silver.

Usually the underside of the hinge, pin, around the catch and the solder retains the finish better than the zinc surface of the badge.
    Myself, I think yours is a Silver grade.

Here is my Silver grade to compare.

Best Regards, fischer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber - unmarked BH Mayer ?   Infanterie Sturmabzeichen in Silber - unmarked BH Mayer ?