Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwerten

Article about: Hello all, need some quick help The piece is unmarked and came in the box you see here I am just recently beginning to delve into medals so I am almost a "Fish out of water" Any he

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwerten

Hello all, need some quick help The piece is unmarked and came in the box you see here I am just recently beginning to delve into medals so I am almost a "Fish out of water" Any help comments and important points to notice appreciated

Regards, Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit SchwertenKriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit SchwertenKriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit SchwertenKriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit SchwertenKriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit SchwertenGeoff
    Last edited by Geoff Ward; 05-08-2021 at 01:15 AM. Reason: SP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwerten
    P
    Many

84 - Carl Poellath

Cheers

Jamie

I am pretty sure it is unmarked unless I am missing something .. was the reason for a medal or badge being unmarked so it could be sold at a private purchase shop or were there any other reasons?

Thanks, Geoff

Geoff

You can divide War Merit Cross, Iron Cross (and many other awards also) into 3 types, unmarked, PKZ and LDO.

Obviously the main reason for marking is to identify the maker of an item and also for ensuring the quality of the product.

In the case of PKZ (Prasidialkanzlei des Fuhrers) the numbers were used for contract purposes and quality control.

For LDO markings (those marks that begin L/**) they were mainly private purchase items.

The whole unmarked/LDO/PKZ thing is quite lengthy to read/type but basically an unmarked cross is regarded as early war (before the PKZ stipulated that markings were mandatory) between 1939 and early 1941.

LDO numbers first appeared in perhaps the first quarter of 1941.

PKZ numbers (those companies contracted by the PKZ to supply awards) are thought to have appeared late 1942 into 1943.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

Everyone bangs on about maker marked items and yes they are nice and obviously useful but getting early unmarked awards and finding out for yourself who the maker is, is far more satisfying

Cheers

Jamie

?

I gleaned a lot out of your responce.

Thank you Jamie! very well explained! I appreciate The help!

Regards,

Geoff
    Last edited by Geoff Ward; 05-09-2021 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Sp