Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwerter (L/66)

Article about: I would like to introduce you to this 1st class war merit cross with swords. The manufacturer's mark is L / 66 for the manufacturer A.D. Schwerdt / Stuttgart. However, the design corresponds

MAP
    ?

Thanks Martin. Was hoping you would be around. Maerz/Stimson book gets me just so far....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwerter (L/66)
    P
    Many

BMB
    ?

Thanks Martin. Was hoping you would be around. Maerz/Stimson book gets me just so far....
    You're welcome!

Best regards
    Martin

BMB
    ?

Thought I'd develop what I wrote here.

but also think that a ”Rudolf Tham” cross is marked L/66 is a bit strange.
    Rudolf Tham did not have what I know an own LDO number so they did not have the right to sell KVK crosses with screwbacks to recipient of KvK1 private, so they shouldn't have had any production of these, or am I wrong? My next thought will be then, did they have the right to produce KVK1 with screwbacks for other companies that had LDO numbers?

Just a few thoughts.

Best regards
    Martin

I am not saying that Rudolf Tham made these KVKs, but that they correspond to the front design of his war merit crosses 2nd class with swords. Other companies in Gablonz also used this Gablonzer design.

Rudolf Tham did not have an LDO number, but according to the presidential office in February 1940 was on a list for manufacturers of the War Merit Cross.

A.D. Schwerdt had an approval from the LDO, which means that he was able to market his products on the private market. The company was only obliged to comply with standards and quality. The company could also have bought KVKs from Deschler and stamped them with L / 66. It was not required that the company make the things themselves. But that was also the case with the PK.

BMB
    ?

Hi Michael!
    I am not in any way trying to discredit your cross, but you have to be very careful with all the good fakes that exist today.

I have looked through all the manufacturers that made KVK2 crosses during the war that were localized or had Gablanzer design according to your book, but could not find anyone who has these two characteristics that I point out in the picture below of these.

1. This tool mark around the swastika.
    2. This pebbling pattern

I also looked if there was someone who had LDO number but did not find anyone who had this by the manufacturers in Gablonzer.

So it is most likely in my opinion that your cross is made by the same pressing tool as Rudolf Tham used during the war.

Best regards
    Martin
    Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1.Klasse mit Schwerter (L/66)

MAP
    ?

A very informative thread Gentlemen

Michael: I've seen your book in German before but is it also available in English?

I find these awards confounding given the large number of makers and variations, making it very hard to identify individual examples that are unmarked. Especially so for collectors that do not exclusively focus on these.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rudolf Tham's shape is most likely to be the one that comes into question for this KVK 1.Kl.m.X.

The KVK comes directly from a budget resolution from Bavaria, without detours via any collectors. So the source is very reliable. I am assuming a 100% original.

I am currently working with Dietrich Maerz on my book in English. It will not be comparable to the German book. The part with the KVKs itself will have about 500 book pages. The German book was published in 2012, and a lot has changed in my research since then. I think I now have about 98% of all possible variants and manufacturers.

BMB
    ?

Hi Michael!
    I'm glad to hear this.

Best regards
    Martin

MAP
    ?

Quote by MichaelFalk View Post
    Rudolf Tham's shape is most likely to be the one that comes into question for this KVK 1.Kl.m.X.

The KVK comes directly from a budget resolution from Bavaria, without detours via any collectors. So the source is very reliable. I am assuming a 100% original.

I am currently working with Dietrich Maerz on my book in English. It will not be comparable to the German book. The part with the KVKs itself will have about 500 book pages. The German book was published in 2012, and a lot has changed in my research since then. I think I now have about 98% of all possible variants and manufacturers.
    That's great. Will keep an eye out for it. The only reference material I have is Maerz/Stimpsons newer (2017) book on the KvK 1st Class. It's very good but I know it doesn't include all the variants. And as I noted above, I find these awards to be one of the most difficult to identify give the huge numbers that were made.

I once compared all manufacturers in Gablonz with this design. Only Rudolf Tham comes into question.

The actual manufacturer should therefore be clarified. How and why now A.D. Schwerdt has sold and delivered this KVK under his name you will no longer be able to find out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2