Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New Deliveries - Red Stars

Article about: And the problem is you never know what one is until you research it. Red Stars I assumed to be "long service" (interesting enough, but ... yawn ...) turned out to be (1) for Czecho

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default Re: New Deliveries - Red Stars

And the problem is you never know what one is until you research it. Red Stars I assumed to be "long service" (interesting enough, but ... yawn ...) turned out to be (1) for Czechoslovakia and (2) a late award to a Mongolian.

You never know until you know.

2. # ADS

Thank you Ade, Koba, Ed--your info certainly helps out. Now as far as researching the numbers on them-is there a Website or do you look throug books-for finding out on these?

Collecting German is so simple--no numbers to worry about researching except for Feldpost numbers as well as Unit numbers '-))

for example : Order of the Red Star, Type 1 (GOZNAK), Very low number #318, with a document.

for sale , only $57,000.00

Quote by history-buff1944 View Post
    Now as far as researching the numbers on them-is there a Website or do you look throug books-for finding out on these?
    Here is a site with a general guide to serial numbers and date ranges:

Odysseus © -- Soviet Screwback Orders

But research you would have to pay for at about $100.

As I mentioned before price can vary a huge amount on these.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Ed_Haynes View Post
    And the problem is you never know what one is until you research it. Red Stars I assumed to be "long service" (interesting enough, but ... yawn ...) turned out to be (1) for Czechoslovakia and (2) a late award to a Mongolian.

You never know until you know.
    How very true. The problem I have is actually stumping up the cash for the research, after all $100 will pretty much guarantee me another decent Krasnaya Zvezda...

Does anyone know how to research directly? I did read somewhere that the archive in Podolsk was particularly useful.

Cheers!

Thank you Pierre, Ade.

Ade-that site certainly is helpful-many thanks for it. Ahh, I sure feel wierd not knowing anything at all about a certain kind of collectable im interested in. I haven't felt this way for over 25 years-back when I knew absolutely nothig about German militaria.

I know how you feel. I actually found it really refreshing to be the "newbie" back in 2001 when I started collecting Soviet items for the first time. I really enjoyed learning something new and very different.

Cheers, Ade.

Ed_Haynes
    ?

And it is nice to collect awards that can (in theory) be researched and where there is history to be restored to the "thing". Not quite as easy as British awards, but close.

Other issues aside, I've never quite understood the fascination with ever-anonymous "things".

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I know how you feel. I actually found it really refreshing to be the "newbie" back in 2001 when I started collecting Soviet items for the first time. I really enjoyed learning something new and very different.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade and Cheers-care to pass any Applesauce my way? ;-))

Thumbs up Re: New Deliveries - Red Stars

Quote by Ed_Haynes View Post
    And it is nice to collect awards that can (in theory) be researched and where there is history to be restored to the "thing". Not quite as easy as British awards, but close.

Other issues aside, I've never quite understood the fascination with ever-anonymous "things".

Hi Ed, that's the kind of research I like doing as well. I used to do volunteer work at a local Museum and I was the one who got to do the research on all of their MIlitaria-which dated from between the time of Christ through the Vietnam War.

The Museum had a sizable collection of British orders and badges. One I vividly remembered doing was when I researched two medals that belonged to a Canadian Captain in some sort of Cavalry or "light" unit of somekind. It turned out that one or two of his descendnts lived in he City-which really surprised me-and I actually got in touch with them that i had their great great Grandfathers medals and was researhing them. It turnes out that the medals were stolen from the Captain back about 1886-sold or traded away-many times over-and eventually found their way into the Museums collection when a local longtime collector passed away and willed his stuff to them. Nobody had known that these were stolen goods-and we had the brillient idea of giving them back to the family-who in turn promptly donated them back to the Museum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2