Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Order of the Red Star 1149863

Article about: Today I received my first red star order, and I wanted to show it to you. I would appreciate any comments. Unless I am mistaken, I think it is an original and correct red star Order, and tha

Default Red Star 1149863 Fyodor Ivanovich Kravchenko

Today I received my first red star order, and I wanted to show it to you. I would appreciate any comments.

Unless I am mistaken, I think it is an original and correct red star Order, and that it is the variant 4.1., manufactured between February and March 1945, at a time when the war (at least the war in Europe) is already about to end. The word coin is about 0.9 mm. or almost, although the way the word "D" is written gave me some doubts. The number is 1,149,863.

According to my data, this Order could still have been a real award, not a long service award.

This "little" Star gives me a feeling of apparent fragility that I like.

Together with the Order of the Red Star, I have received this beautiful Order of the Red Banner from Bulgaria, a country that I have visited on several occasions. I had thought that this Order was made of brass or a light mineral, but its weight has surprised me. I think it is an early variant.

Last edited by Agapito; 03-21-2021 at 09:48 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of the Red Star 1149863
    P
    Many

I am sorry to say but these are really shitty pics. That said, it is an original Moskow Mint made star during February - March 1945 indeed. You are also right that most likely this is a combat awarded star (only research can give 100% certainty because serial number ranges are not always so black/white and many anomalies can be found).

Thanks a lot. I apologize for the quality of the images, which do not show the beauty of the Order of the Red Star.

I find it difficult to grasp the delicacy of the enamel and the details of the Order.

Agapito,

Like your star. I Agree with Banziger. Probably awarded for a late combat action. But the only way you'll ever know is to get it researched. Not sure of your financial situation but I strongly suggest you do. Adds the background story on your award and why the individual received it.

Gerry C.

Writing from the High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.

Thank you. I have a little trouble expressing myself in English, but I have already sent a message to Auke de Vlieger to research the Order. He is the reference that I have found in the forum.

I have asked his permission to share the results of his research on this forum. I hope he authorizes me to do so.

Auke, as well as Igor (Egorka on this forum) are both thé guys to go to for research
    Looking forward to see the research come up here!

No doubt he will; Auke is an excellent researcher.

Default Red Star 1149863 Fyodor Ivanovich Kravchenko

Well, then I will comment the results of the investigation by Auke.

This Red Star was awarded on November 19, 1944 to Captain of the Quartermaster Corps Fyodor Ivanovich Kravchenko, assistant chief of staff for rear-area matters of the 53rd Cannon Artillery Brigade, for supplying ammunition and fuel during combat operations in Northern Lithuania, specifically, in the Šiauliai-Raseiniai region if I am not mistaken. I believe is a real award.

In that period the city of Königsberg was close to the actions of the Red Army. I thought that time would come later. Berlin was far, but not too far.

This is Fyodor Ivanovich Kravchenko:

I have tried to translate some details of his history. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Russian language.

He was a person of Ukrainian nationality, who was born in 1907 in Eastern Ukraine, and was mobilized in 1941 to join the Red Army, like many other millions of people. I believe he was a member of the communist party since 1931, and graduated in 1946.

He received the Order of the Red Star 1149863 on November 19, 1944. I think he served in the 1st Baltic Front at that time, and participated in the Offensive against German Wehrmacht in the region of the Baltic states during the summer and fall in 1944. At the end of the operations, a German Army Group in Curland was isolated, which would remain in this situation until the end of the war.

As a result of Operation Bagration, with Army Group Center retreating every day, Group North was seriously threatened, and the Soviet generals realized that it was their opportunity to prepare an offensive towards the Baltic Sea.

On July 5, 1944, the Soviet offensive against Šiauliai began. By July 31, 1944, the coast of the Gulf of Riga had been reached, this left the German Army trapped in Estonia. At this point, new Soviet troops advanced rapidly through Latvia, attempting to separate the North and Center German Army Groups.

The German reaction was swift and initially successful, launching a counterattack under the name of Operation Doppelkopf, beginning on August 16, 1944. The Germans repelled the Soviet advance and drove the Red Army from the Baltic coastline, reestablishing communications between both Army Groups through a thin 30-kilometer-wide land corridor.

The aim of the German attack was to recover the Šiauliai road junction (called Schaulen in German), but the German tanks faced a defense in depth from the First Baltic Front of the Red Army, and their advance was halted on 20 August. German troops tried to launch a new attack to strengthen their thin coastal strip on September 16, under the name of Operation Cäsar, but failed again.

I think that the performance of Fyodor Ivanovich Kravchenko could be related to these events.

I believe that, briefly, he is described as an officer who worked in Šiauliai-Raseiniai region with initiative and energy, and skillfully organized everything necessary to support the essential site of the battle. In difficult conditions of combat operation, captain Kravchenko provided a high-time and reliable operation. Controlling the performance of military strength, comrade kravchenko has assumed personal responsibilities. His work helped a successful implementation.I think that two officers (Tarasenko and Novodranov) of the 53rd Cannon Artillery Brigade signed the document.

He also received the Order of the Patriotic War 2ª class 690390.

(This part I have not yet been able to translate, although I know that it refers to events that occurred between February 20 and 28, 1945).

I think the Order would be correct, or so it seems, but I thought this Order was from February-March 1945; and as indicated by Auke, it has turned out to be a previous Order granted on 11/19/1944.

Very itresting story. Thank you for sharing. Also i see from the docs you shared that Fyodor Ivanovich Kravchenko was avarded the Great Homecoutry War order 2nd class Nr690390. I have in my collection the Great Homecoutry War order 2nd class Nr690343. Probably they served together But i didnt do a research, maybe later.