Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Order of the Red Star № 1409720

Article about: Hello folks. I bought this Red Star as an unresearched example. Along with two other awards I posted recently, I've since had it researched by Matt Jansen at Soviet Orders. All three orders

Default Order of the Red Star № 1409720

Hello folks.

I bought this Red Star as an unresearched example, along with two other awards I posted recently. I've since had it researched by Matt Jansen at Soviet Orders. All three orders held their own surprises, but the research turned up on this one is particularly impressive.

This Star was awarded to Guards Lt Colonel Mikhail Tikhonovich Smetanin, commander of the 308 Guards Rifle Regiment, 46th Army, 2nd Ukrainian Front, on 3rd November 1944. Born in 1907 in Ivanovo region, Lukhovsky district, Russia, he joined the Red Army in 1929 and served until at least 16th August 1946, the date on his register card. It turns out Smetanin was a well-decorated individual, receiving not only the Order of the Red Star, but also the Order of Lenin on 4th September 1942, and the Order of Kutuzov 3rd Class on 1st January 1944.

The award.

Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720

Mikhail Tikhonovich Smetanin, and his register card.

Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720

His Order of the Red Star citation.

Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720

Detailed scans of his register card.

Order of the Red Star № 1409720 Order of the Red Star № 1409720

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Order of the Red Star № 1409720
    P
    Many

Very nice. This gives room for more research again. Well done

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Very nice. This gives room for more research again. Well done
    Indeed. I may have to seek Matt's help again in researcing the Orders of Lenin and Kutuzov. Those will tell their own stories, even if I don't have the medals themselves to hand.

B.B.

Here's your guy: Сметанин Михаил Тихонович :: Память народа

You can find his awards including the citations for both the Lenin and Kutuzov III there at the left column: Документы о награждении
    And at Боевой путь you find his route throughout the war. This can help you a bit on the way I hope

His awards overview:

The citation for the Order of Lenin:

The citation for the Order of Kutuzov III:

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    His awards overview:

The citation for the Order of Lenin:

The citation for the Order of Kutuzov III:

That was fast! Thanks for turning those up. It’s amazing how much history these little pieces of metal can hold.

B.B.

I agree, and that makes collecting Soviet awards so interesting to me. One award with a serial number can bring tons of information on the awardee. It brings history back to life.

TWS
    ?

Great find Brodie!

I've got one that's researched and one that is not.

Quote by TWS View Post
    Great find Brodie!

I've got one that's researched and one that is not.
    It may be worth getting in contact with Matt Jansen at Soviet Orders to have your unresearched example looked into. You might be surprised what turns up!

B.B.

TWS
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It may be worth getting in contact with Matt Jansen at Soviet Orders to have your unresearched example looked into. You might be surprised what turns up!

B.B.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had an offer... many months ago... from someone with connections who was going to do me that favor on it. Unfortunately, their source had some things going on at the time and I need to inquire again.