Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Red Star awarded to female medical captain with photo

Article about: Hereby I wanna show my latest Order of Red Star, serial # 1411325 awarded to Maria Petrovna Isaeva. Maria was born in Kamenka, Yekaterinovsky district, Stratov Region in 1918. Maria joined t

Default Red Star awarded to female medical captain with photo

Hereby I wanna show my latest Order of Red Star, serial # 1411325 awarded to Maria Petrovna Isaeva. Maria was born in Kamenka, Yekaterinovsky district, Stratov Region in 1918. Maria joined the Red Army on september 1st 1942, first serving at the Kalinin Front and later on at the 2nd Ukrainian Front. On March 10 1945 Maria was awarded the Order of Red Star while being Captain at the Medical Service, serving at hospital #5040 of the 2nd Ukrainian Front.

Two things make this Red Star interesting for me. First of all Maria decided to alter the award pin a bit by adding a safety pin, probably for easier wear. Such altered Red Stars are not too often encountered and for me this adds a bit of that personal touch to the award. Second of all, it is very nice to have a photo that belongs to the award. I always like to add a face to awards, taking the award a bit out of the anonimity.

So first of all let me introduce to you Maria Petrovna Isaeva:

Red Star awarded to female medical captain with photoRed Star awarded to female medical captain with photo

This is Maria's Order of Red Star, with the safety pin added:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Star awarded to female medical captain with photo
    P
    Many

Very nice Marcel, I can certainly see why this one caught your eye, I don’t think I have seen a modified pin set up before on this award

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Maria's Record Card, only showing the Order of Red Star and the Medal Victory over Germany.

Red Star awarded to female medical captain with photoRed Star awarded to female medical captain with photo

Next up the award sheet with citation:

"Young doctor Senior Lieutenant M.P. Isayeva (graduated in 1942) works as resident doctor during two years. Persistently and energetically working on herself, devoted to her work, treats the woundeds and sick with care and love.
    In October of 1943 was promoted to position of Head of Surgical Department. Well organized mass medical operations and the imposition of secondary medical sutures on soft tissues, which allowed to provide 522 medical operations from 23d of October to 31st of November 1944 (during first 9 months of 1944 only 469 operations performed). The operations took place under her personal supervision and guidance and with her direct participation as a surgeon. The results of the operations are good. All operated patients were discharged in their units. Time of wounded staying in the hospital was reduced from 2-3 months to 18-26 days.
    Comrade Isayeva M.P. is secretary of Young Communist League organization. Enjoys well-deserved love and respect among the wounded and hospital staff.
    Comrade Isayeva M.P. is worthy to be awarded the Red Star order."

Finally the Order, Maria is no. 10 on page 2:

Fantastic!

The Horror medical personnel in conflicts deal with. I have much reverence for them.

Indeed. I read many Soviet memoirs and quite some of them deal about the stay at military hospitals, both near the front and back in the rear. When reading how things were happening there and stuff doctors and nurses had to deal with day in day out only brings tons of respect for them!

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Indeed. I read many Soviet memoirs and quite some of them deal about the stay at military hospitals, both near the front and back in the rear. When reading how things were happening there and stuff doctors and nurses had to deal with day in day out only brings tons of respect for them!
    Of all nations who fought in WW2 I think the Soviet front line soldiers received the best medical care
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

In another case I would say that the order was damaged because of this pin, but not now. It's much more comfortable for a woman to wear an order with a pin, so this pin is a very nice detail.
    The place where she was born is in Saratov Region, not Stratov.

Thanks. Yes, of course it is Saratov. Typing error

In fact, for me such personal adjustments are never damaging the award. It's a personalisation from the awardee that adds to the story. So I like such adjustments

Great addition Marcel, and very nice to have the photos with it.