Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thoughts on Type 4 Red Star (91605)

Article about: Hi all, I recently got interested in Soviet awards and obtained this Order of the Red Star as one of my first items. Although the order itself appears to be an original piece, the lighter co

Dom
    ?

I did not talk about a Duplicate but rather an engraving error which is repaired at the mint. For information in his book Durov, gives this range of numbers 61801-93462 attributed in 42 and not in 43

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on Type 4 Red Star (91605)
    P
    Many

Auke's research also puts this serial number range in early '43. And I know that # 91152 is from April 30 1943 for example.
    Furthermore I know that serialnumber range # 45001 - 93462 was produced (not awarded) at the MMD (Moskow Mint).
    But those serial number ranges are always not so black and white and interlaps exist and awards whose serial number fall out of place happened. It all depended on which Front the awards were handed out among others.

Finally had to time to check to book about duplicates and after examining the many different variations I must say it is quite plausible this is an original Mint engraved duplicate star. Not all duplicates had a D stamped or engraved (to make it easy for us collectors haha). Makes you wonder why such an early produced star already got a new number engraved that falls in the same batch. Mistake by the engraver as is mentioned here? I doubt that because than the engraving style would be similar as the original engravings from this batch. After all, it was the same engraver doing a series of engravings, and thus also fixing his error.

All in all a mysterious piece which is quite possibly an original re-engraved duplicate. Maybe researching the serial number could give some clues and answers?!

Interesting link. Thanks! So it's still either a duplicate or corrected engraving. Perhaps research can rule out the duplicate story since I believe that when duplicates were handed out it was registered somewhere (Record card perhaps or even a seperate document?). Please correct me if I am wrong. It's still a bit of a grey area for me.

What furthermore puzzles me (and perhaps can have a simple explanation) is that if the engraver makes a mistake and needs to re-engrave the correct serial number, why is the re-engraved serial number in a different style than the other serial numbers from that range? If it would be from the same hand the engraving style would be the same imo. Multiple engravers could be an answer, though complete series are done by the same hand yet a corrected one is done by a different hand? Possible. I don't know.

Hi all,

Thank you for this great and interesting discussion. Looks like there's more to this Order than what I originally suspected.
    Another member was kind enough to forward me some examples of Orders from the same range. It looks like the engraving style patches those of other numbers that are close?

The engraving of the Order shown earlier:

The engraving of another Order which seems to have been done by the same engraver (there were only 20 other examples between the one that started the thread and this one):

That's the same hand indeed. Thanks for showing.

Dom
    ?

Which in my opinion definitively excludes a Duplicate. Furthermore in 42/43 the probability of receiving a duplicate of the same variant (as for the others later) is almost zero for the Moscow Mint which is still very young in this era...

I think a search could be interesting for this Red Star, it's a great acquisition

Hello, IMHO original Red Satr order with seriel number corrected made at Mint. The order is known for some time, here is a picture from 2016.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thoughts on Type 4 Red Star (91605) 

?

I agree with Gambler and Dom. The lighter enamel and various other characteristics are an indication that this is a Red Star from the 90 thousand range. The serial number was probably corrected at the mint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2