Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?

Article about: Hi again, friends! Well, after much searching, I've finally gone and landed myself a Close Combat Clasp. This one, appears to my amateur eye, to be a minimally worn Nahkampfspange in Bronze

Default Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?

Hi again, friends! Well, after much searching, I've finally gone and landed myself a Close Combat Clasp.
    This one, appears to my amateur eye, to be a minimally worn Nahkampfspange in Bronze by 'JFS'. Marked 'Fec.W.E. Peekhaus - Berlin' and still retaining almost all of its bronze finish. The original back plate seems firmly crimped into place. I think this would be referred to as a JFS 2nd Pattern, but some more knowledgeable than I may correct me.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking!

Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?
    Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?
    Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?
    Last edited by DerFunker; 10-13-2022 at 02:54 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS - My First! Thoughts?
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Yep. Raised designer mark and JFS moved to the hinge side = 2nd pattern to me.

Nice example.

I would recommend smearing a light coat of vaseline on the areas with the white oxidation. Let it sit 24-48 hours and then wipe off with a soft cotton cloth. Heck, you can do it to the whole clasp and it might bring out the finish even better.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

It looks correct to me. Congrats!
    And, yes, it is a second pattern.
    You can compare with my example here.
    Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS, Josef Feix & Sohne
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by TWS View Post
    Yep. Raised designer mark and JFS moved to the hinge side = 2nd pattern to me.

Nice example.

I would recommend smearing a light coat of vaseline on the areas with the white oxidation. Let it sit 24-48 hours and then wipe off with a soft cotton cloth. Heck, you can do it to the whole clasp and it might bring out the finish even better.
    Thanks, Todd! Appreciate the comments, as always. Good call on the oxidation. Sometimes I don't even notice it myself until I start taking pictures.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    It looks correct to me. Congrats!
    And, yes, it is a second pattern.
    You can compare with my example here.
    Nahkampfspange in Bronze, JFS, Josef Feix & Sohne
    Ralph.
    Thanks, Ralph! I've been looking for a good one for a long while, so I'm excited to finally have one in the collection.
    Great looking example you've got there yourself, as well!

TWS
    ?

Quote by DerFunker View Post
    Thanks, Todd! Appreciate the comments, as always. Good call on the oxidation. Sometimes I don't even notice it myself until I start taking pictures.
    Every single zinc badge/clasp I buy receives the vaseline treatment. It's a good guard against finish loss/zinc pest/other corrosion even if the badge is not showing any. A protective/preventive measure. If some prissy collector claims I'm "cleaning" the badge and lowering the value... well... as we say in Texas, "bless their heart".
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Quote by TWS View Post
    Every single zinc badge/clasp I buy receives the vaseline treatment. It's a good guard against finish loss/zinc pest/other corrosion even if the badge is not showing any. A protective/preventive measure. If some prissy collector claims I'm "cleaning" the badge and lowering the value... well... as we say in Texas, "bless their heart".
    Funny, but I had a friend who was overly-obsessive about altering his field gear in any way. He'd buy a pair of Marschstiefel that was covered in mud clods on the bottom, and stash them away in a bag insisting that even cleaning them off would "alter them". Used to drive me nuts. I guess he though he might be knocking the "battlefield mud" off of them.

Bless their hearts indeed, pardner. If we don't keep our collection clean and preserved, it might not be here for the next generation. Thanks for the comment, Todd.