Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Amazing Armband Guide

Article about: I just found this absolutely amazing armband guide - listing, with images, 179 authentic period armbands http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/AB.php This should help in identifing legitimate

Default Re: Amazing Armband Guide

Quote by Bmsmear View Post
    I just found this absolutely amazing armband guide - listing, with images, 179 authentic period armbands

http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/AB.php

This should help in identifing legitimate armband styles and construction.

Administrators - delete this thread. It seems that there are other bogus armbands listed at this link. Rather than mislead collectors with bogus information, just delete this thread/link.
    I really was just trying to help - but I'll retire and leave that to the experienced board members. Sorry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Amazing Armband Guide
    P
    Many

Don't worry Bmsmear, that's how you learn. Just go through the forum and see what real armbands look like.

Tom

Another armband of dubious authenticity in the gallery is IMO this one:

Amazing Armband Guide

I cannot comment on whether or not this type of RAD Kriegsberichter (War Reporter ) armband ever existed as I do not collect Nazi or German militaria but I can say with some certainty that the font used to set the word "Kriegsberichter" is ITC Quorum which was designed by Ray Baker in 1977!

I have typeset "Kriegsberichter" in the font ITC Quorum below:

Amazing Armband Guide

Hope this is of interest

update = = =

The font used for "R.A.D." on this armband is Plantin Bold which I have typeset below:

Amazing Armband Guide

Plantin was named after the printer Christophe Plantin and was first cut in 1913 under the direction of Frank Hinman Pierpont for the Monotype Corporation so might well have been used during the period by the Germans ...but of course not in conjunction with the 1977 ITC Quorum!
    Last edited by StefanM; 07-02-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

IMO the armband with the red life rune shown in this thread is a reproduced armband. I also believe Snyder's description is wildly incorrect. H.J. and S.A. medical personnel wore this type of armband on occasion. Here is a link to the H.J. forum where period examples and photos of the armband in wear are shown.

hj doctors and medic armbands - Hitler Youth Forum

I'm happy to make amends for my initial mis-direction to an unworthy armband guide.
    If you'll permit me to try again, I think you will agree that this thread, although to a different
    board, is an excellent source - this link points to a posting of over 20 pages, with collector
    RonR's & others armbands posted with detailed photos. Many rare but authentic armbands
    listed, offering quite an education.

The post is named 'Post your armbands!' -
    Post your armbands! - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Bmsmear-
    Relax as no one wants to crucify you over your initial post. Thatarmband site is certainly full of many fantasy pieces. It is quite evident that the webmaster has never adequately reviewed the accuracy of his information. Nearly alll collections can be found to have a questionable piece. Reference books are also infiltrated with fakes. Some of these errors are by accident and some planted by the author for hime to sell in the future for a large profit as "it is in the book."
    We discuss things here as adults and will not stand for any bad behavior or rudeness towards anyone. Welcome and I hope you find this place to be your primary source of accurate information.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the kind words. This forum has been indispensible for me - I've learned much so far. I wish I'd found it sooner.

Welcome to the Forum! It's even better when you join and become a War Relics Forum Club Member!
    cheers, Glenn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2