Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions please

Article about: I have been offered this armband and would like some opinions please. I was a little concerned initially by the uneven number stamping, but a similar item sold on The Guild has the same. Any

?

Default Reichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions please

I have been offered this armband and would like some opinions please. I was a little concerned initially by the uneven number stamping, but a similar item sold on The Guild has the same. Any help appreciated.Reichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions pleaseReichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions pleaseReichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions pleaseReichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions pleaseReichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reichsfinanzverwaltung-Zollgrenzschutz Armelschild for opinions please
    P
    Many

Maybe the website zollgrenzschutz.de is of some help.
    Look for the section "Kopien-Wappenschilder".

?

Thank you for the educational link Mr Saris - a wealth of information. Without viewing the back of the schild to check whether the numbers show clear - and I don't think the PO is going to unstitch it - the front to me looks good. Zollgrenzschutz.de says "Copies can usually be recognized by the color. While the original was made of brass and is almost gold, most copies are gray, brown, reddish or silvery." However, I notice to the right side of the schild by the 2 attachment holes what looks like a strip of burr from when it was struck that has not been properly finished. Is this a big red flag??

Will ask a friend. I am not that good in such stuff!

I will let you know about his opinion.

I can give a quick answer:
    the shield is okay, a 100% good item.

The burr one can see with many of them. It is possible this is caused
    by the "wear and tear" of the mould, said my friend.

Here you can see the shield with the "Weimar"-eagle, positioned
    onto a cloth band, as well as the shield worn during the Third Reich
    (both credit: Patrick Vereijken):

?

Mr Saris, a huge thank you for going above and beyond the call of duty. Hopefully on it's way to me.

alikat: Here some additional information from:
    "Leitfaden für den Grenzaufsichtsdienst" from 1936
    published by the Reichsfinanzministerium.

It is literally said the green armband with shield was to
    be used by officials in civil. Nothing is said about the
    wearing with a uniform. There surely will have been
    such orders, otherwise one would not see it as worn
    with the customs-uniform. It must have been as to
    indicate such person. It was not even needed to wear
    the armband at the arm; showing it was okay!

For the benefit of the non-German speaking members, here is a full translation of the above document:

"Officials in civilian clothing have to identify themselves by a green armband with a brass shield. It is not necessary for the armband to be worn on the arm; presenting it is sufficient. In order to help with this act of presenting it to approaching motor vehicles, the officials are equipped with a special stretching device that allows the armband with the brass shield to be held out towards the vehicles (at nighttime, preferably illuminated by the headlights) with the arm extended (see decree of 6th July 1929 O 3141 - 6463 and of 23rd February 1931 O 3141 - 38 II). The armband with the brass shield is also to be shown if the wearing of leather hoods* may lead to doubts about the entitlement to halt traffic (decree of 24th May 1934 O 3141 - 2 II.)"

*) I was not quite sure how to best translate this; it refers to the kind of leather caps as worn by motorists in open cars or on motorcycles (the kind that's covering the ears and back of the head).

I find it a bit odd that the customs officials were not simply issued with something like special traffic wands rather than a device to stretch and hold out their armbands.

Alikat,

Did you buy this item?

William

?

I did, and it arrived today. I will post better pics shortly. It is way more impressive than in the pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast