Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Volkssturm Armband Fake?

Article about: I'm new to the forum and have collected items from the TR for years. I'm very careful to authenticate the items I buy but I bought this Volkssturm armband on a whim recently. After further r

Default Volkssturm Armband Fake?

I'm new to the forum and have collected items from the TR for years. I'm very careful to authenticate the items I buy but I bought this Volkssturm armband on a whim recently. After further research, I'm starting to think it's a fake.

This style is uncommon yet there are alot of fakes of them. I did a burn test, The tan material burns quickly and smells like paper, the white stitching burns quick but smells a bit like plastic. The band itself doesn't have a very strong "old" smell. The stamp seems to be common with these variants but I don't know enough about these to be 100% sure.

I'd love to get your thoughts,

Thanks, Tyler
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Volkssturm Armband Fake?   Volkssturm Armband Fake?  

Volkssturm Armband Fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volkssturm Armband Fake?
    P
    Many

Tyler, welcome to the forum. You applied some of the same test that I would do but I will have to say I do not have a good feeling about the armband. The thread smelling like plastic is a concern and the stitching looks to be modern. I am not a fan but hold out for another opinion or two. Do you have a black light, I would be curious if the thread glows.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The stamp on the armband is a bad sign.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks Marty, all of the tan armbands I have seen are stamped with the unit. All of the unit stamps seem to be very similar, for example mine says company 1, others say company 2, ect. In my mind, that either means these particular bands were used in a specific area, or they're all faked by some guy with a stamp.

RMD
    ?

Interesting.. A black light, to see if the stitching glows. I'm assuming that if it glows this would be a bad sign? Indicating synthetic thread?

RMD
    ?

Hey there, Orange.. I don't know enough about armbands to say if this is real or not. If it is real, it's beautiful and a great piece for your collection. I will say that I have seen many different types of authentic armbands in the past, and a good number of them did in fact have the circular stamp. If that helps at all.

Thanks for posting the photo. Very cool