Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

The Afrikakorps cuff title

Article about: See Dan,it's a buzz when you pick up on things you've learned from your time in the hobby,well done mate. Shows you're making progress,keep up the good work. Stewy

Thoughts on this one please?
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Afrikakorps cuff title
    P
    Many

Nice original!

Thank you.
    John

?

I present to everyone, probably the weirdest Afrika Korps "cuff title" you've ever seen:

One of these sold on eMedals a few years back as an alleged Fallschirmjäger "Cufftitle." Here's the link for that. Germany, Luftwaffe. A DAK (German Africa Corps) Fallschirmjager Cufftitle - Afrika - Third Reich Cufftitles - Germany - Europe

Now, I did the most extensive research an armchair historian could possibly do on the matter. I even bought a $90 book all about the uniforms of the Fallschirmjäger in North Africa. There was even a section dedicated to cuff titles. Needless to say, I saw absolutely nothing on this in all my research. How eMedals sold this as a Fallschirmjäger cuff title for $430 is a mystery to me.

Obviously, like a rational person, I think it's some sort of fake. I just can't figure out why someone would even create it. If nobody's ever heard of/seen something before, why would there be any interest in it? It's just perplexing to me.

BTW, if anybody is curious, I bought it from a collector who purchased it at an estate sale of an alleged hardcore German WWII collector. This collector allegedly made a living repairing and selling German WWII motorcycles. I'm very skeptical about the entire story, to say the least. However, the guy does have a couple legitimate cuff titles for sale, as well as German WWII motorcycle parts, so, IDK what to think.

I am not keen on it and it offered to me I would pass on it.

A lot of reproduction insignia made in America in the late 1940's / early 50's by a company called "Patch King" used this type of mesh backing. I don't know if they made this one but it may be a lead for you to research?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I am not keen on it and it offered to me I would pass on it.

A lot of reproduction insignia made in America in the late 1940's / early 50's by a company called "Patch King" used this type of mesh backing. I don't know if they made this one but it may be a lead for you to research?

Cheers, Ade.
    From my limited knowledge, Patch King sold legitimate US WWII patches (obviously very easy to get in the US after the war) and made repros of WWI and non-US WWII patches.

?

Attempting to follow the potential Patch King lead, I purchased a catalog of theirs from probably the 60's (don't know, as there's no date anywhere). I purchased it specifically because the title says, "Insignias of the Armed Forces. United States. Foreign." Unfortunately, "foreign" seems to mean patches of US troops serving/stationed anywhere other than the US.

With that lead dead, I sent eMedals a message about the auction where they claimed this was a Fallschirmjager cuff. They never responded. So, I guess it'll be one of those mysterious things that probably won't ever be definitely solved. I'll just put in the, "high probable fake" category.

?

Last update on that "Fallschirmjager cuff." I happened to find it on another website, as seen here. SMGP-1498 Post war Afrikakorps Felt - War-Relics Buyers and Sellers of War Memorabilia | War Antiques | German Weapons. This is the description: "I really don’t even know what this is for. Looks like it was some attempt at a cuff title then it was cut? maybe it was just made for a display? You can use it for a similar purpose." I agree 100%.

Default Could one of you more experienced cast your eye over this please

With copies getting better and better, could I please get some feedback on this one for originality? The A and F seem to be touching.

Thanks,
    Grant

[/ATTACH]The Afrikakorps cuff titleThe Afrikakorps cuff titleThe Afrikakorps cuff title

Looks ok to me though a better picture of the whole reverse would nail it. Regards Paul

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast