MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

CTF's Uniform Collection

Article about: Courtesy of my cross-town friend, a Panzer waffenrock for a reserve Hauptmann attached to a Panzerzug (armored train)--it is as mint as the day it was made:

Rkt:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CTF's Uniform Collection  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement CTF's Uniform Collection
    P
    Many

Beautiful collection.

?

CTF's collection of mint and with provenance of uniforms, visors, helmets and accoutrements is simply stunning and breathtaking. Please forward my thanks and appreciation for sharing his outstanding collection of WWII German militaria.

I am assuming he didn't want the Cav Crusher I got from you due to lack of provenance?

Quote by dan d View Post
    CTF's collection of mint and with provenance of uniforms, visors, helmets and accoutrements is simply stunning and breathtaking. Please forward my thanks and appreciation for sharing his outstanding collection of WWII German militaria.

I am assuming he didn't want the Cav Crusher I got from you due to lack of provenance?
    Dan, LOL! He collects only items that are named; have a distributor name; or have company/regimental markings in them. He then searches for anything/everything on the original owner, to the point of contacting remaining family members--the chain of custody he has been able to establish for these items is incredible.

"Occasionally, a uniform you acquire for your collection, leads to a more significant story. Note the decorated feld bluse and trousers named to Oblt. Sommerhuber, of Pioneer Abt. 19. The story of Sturm Pioneer from Pioneer Abt. 19 is pivotal in the Battle of France.

Cover of Sieg im Westen magazine. Sturm Pioneer from Pioneer Abt. 19 attack La Ferte on May 19, 1940 in the Maginot Line. La Ferte at Montmedy, was the critical northernmost revolving gun turret and blockhouse on a commanding height 12 miles from the Sedan bridgehead. La Ferte (German designation: Panzerwerk 505) had to be taken by pioneers from the 71 Inf. Division, enabling German forces to bypass this revolving turret and adjoining blockhouse, to sweep into French territory. The storming of La Ferte mentioned specifically in Sieg im Westen, official OKH publication on the campaign in the west.

One of the photos is a Feldgrau excerpt with report of the pioneer attack, mentioned Oberlt. German and Oberlt. Sommerhuber. Officers: French Lt. Thouemont by phone to Lt. Bourguignon, commander of the gun turret at La Ferte. Officers: German: Oberlt. Germer & Oberlt. Sommerhuber, of Sturm Pioneer 19.

On 19 May, Oblt. Germer and Oberlt. Sommerhuber climbed to La Ferte under level 88 Flak fire with satchel charges, tasked with destroying the revolving gun cupola. Oblt. Germer’s satchel blast only dislodges the cupola from its turret ring. Lt. Sommerhuber then placed the second satchel charge at the dismounted gun turret to widen the breech, to successfully drop in smoke grenades. The carbon monoxide from the smoke and the lack of ventilation, killed the entire French garrison of 107 officers/men in the turret and adjoining blockhouse, positioned in the linked underground tunnel.

For their action on 19 May, Oblt. Germer (as leader of the Sturm Pioneer) awarded the Knights Cross. Oberlt. Sommerhuber, as second in command, is awarded the Iron Cross 1st. Class for this same action.

La Ferte (Panzerwerk 505) was the only Maginot Line complex to resist by all French fortress troops to the death. Panzerwerk 505 became the most toured segment of the Maginot line after the armistice by German troops, to include AH.

The piped walking out dress of Oblt. Sommerhuber displays exceptionally fine quality and tailoring. Label reads: Oblt Sommerhuber Dec. 1939. Sommerhuber born in the Sudetenland in 1917. Officer in Pioneer Abt. 19, later Pioneer Battl. 171. He won Iron Cross 1st and 2nd class. Note from his death certificate. He was killed on opening day of the campaign in Russia. June 22, 1941.

Interesting uniform named to an officer in the most publicized action of the Maginot Line campaign. Pioneer Waffenrocks are rare, and piped walking out feld bluse, are scarcer still."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CTF's Uniform Collection   CTF's Uniform Collection  

CTF's Uniform Collection   CTF's Uniform Collection  

Last edited by stonemint; 02-09-2021 at 04:11 AM.

TWS
    ?

CTF just emailed me this treat today. What a treasure! As I told him, fantastic uniform with a GREAT history.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Very cool.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Wartime Medical Officer tunic that my cross-town friend just picked up (piping appears black, but is dark blue):

Background:

This stone mint Feldbluse is named to Dr. Gunther Speer. Born: 4.16.1916. Member: NSKK, but no other Party affiliation. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Speer enters the Heer Off.-Korps on 1.7.1943. Dr. Speer had this custom Feldbluse tailored at Breuninger’s (Sept. 1942). Cloth is high quality wool with superior tailoring, in the gray/light green shade of fabric, seen on mid/late war uniforms. All insignia is subdued, with the exception of the alum. wire breast eagle. Interestingly also, the Breuningers’s label has the ADEFA secondary label, “This garment tailored by Aryan hands only”. Feldbluse has the internal sword/dagger hanger affixed. The assumption was this custom Feldbluse was the Dr. walking out uniform. Medical blue piped boards and collar tabs, with blue color as vivid as the day the Feldbluse made.

Russian Front:

Dr. Speer assigned to San. Abt. 25, part of the 25 Panzer Grenadier Div. He is later transferred to Grenadier Regt. 683, and captured in late August 1944, in eastern Crimea. Dr. Speer perishes on a Russian prisoner transport (probably sealed box cars). The brother of Dr. Speer informed Charlie Hinz that he thought his brother died in the vicinity of Stalingrad. Volksbund records confirm capture date/death date as 25.10.1944 in Minalnyje Wody (Russia).

Decorations:

Note that Feldbluse has no loops for Feldspange or badges. His Heer service was evidently so brief before his demise, there is no record of any awards. Unusual to find an officer’s walking out uniform with no decorations at all. Perhaps this Feldbluse never worn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CTF's Uniform Collection   CTF's Uniform Collection  

CTF's Uniform Collection  

Attached are photos of a Dec. 1937 custom Waffenrock named to Feldwebel Karl Heinz Beermann of Pz. Abw. Abteilung 13. This Feldwebel served with the 13 Pz. Div. through the Polish campaign. Note that this Waffenrock has no Feldspange loops, and only one set of loops for a prior wound badge or assault badge. Some attempt was made to erase the name of Beermann on the name label, but the name is clear in strong light. The fine breast eagle was un-touched, as in last image.

With the officer losses in the early stages of the Russian campaign, experienced NCO’s were often promoted to officer rank to fill these gaps. Beermann, sometime in 1940/41, was promoted to Lieutnant, and assigned to 2. Komp. of Panzer Jager Abteilung 19. The rank or loops for awards he may have earned, were never added to this Waffenrock, probably by his officer promotion. Waffenrock appears to have been worn very little.

By the dates of his death notice, Beermann was mortally wounded in either the encirclement battles for Bialystok or Minsk. The Lazarett death notice has more information about Lt. Beermann’s wounds than usually found. Firstly, someone of the period, or who filed this death notice in German archives, added a Swastika “doodle” for unknown reasons – first I have seen on a death notice.

The most revealing part of the short life of Lt. Beermann, is the reason for his death. Lower portion of the death notice reads “Wounded on 31.8.1941. Died 16.9.1941. Injuries: wounds to left arm and right leg, bomb fragment in upper left arm with Aorta wound. Amputation of the left arm (and more description evidently) of further wounds as this document says “turn over.”

Not a vision of a glorious death - it’s never like the movies.

CTF's Uniform Collection  

I would LOVE to know what y'll do for a living, because THAT'S what I need to do to pay for a collection like this one day! Holy Smokes! World class collection right there, I'm stunned.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast