Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help

Article about: Good day, gentlemen, I have a first pattern DAK tunic (unfortunately, devoid of any insignia), but have been unable to identify the maker. The ink stamp is quite well worn, by its contact wi

?

Default DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help

Good day, gentlemen,
    I have a first pattern DAK tunic (unfortunately, devoid of any insignia), but have been unable to identify the maker. The ink stamp is quite well worn, by its contact with an S-clip for one of the buttons, but appears to be something along the lines of ‘Peek & …’ - though this may be something altogether different.

There is probably an address line beneath, which I cannot determine, despite being quite bold.

Below this, and slightly overlapping the address line, there appears to be a depot inspection stamp and date, though this is beyond my eyesight. I keep thinking I can see an ‘H’, but this is probably a mere trick of the eye, caused by micro-shadows or dirt in the weave.

I have tried (and continue) to cross-match the general form of the stamp with every other example I can find, but thus far, to no avail. I hope you can help to decipher the stamp, or are perhaps familiar with this maker.
    I shall attempt some better images tomorrow, in daylight, and add them here.
    Many thanks in advance, as ever,
    Rob.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help   DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help  

DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help   DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help
    P
    Many

?

I’ve trawled through Ade’s excellent thread on the Rb.Nr., containing lists of various manufacturers, but with no results.
    Im still struggling to get a decent image of the ink stamp, but I fear this is as good as it gets.

Is there a list of known manufacturers of German uniforms to be found anywhere?

Peek & Kloppenberg made tropical tunics, definitely for the Luftwaffe ... I don't know if they did Heer or KM tunics though.

The business is still going too.

Bob

My rotten spelling, 'Cloppenburg" with a 'C' and not a 'K' as well as 'burg' and not 'berg'

Peek & Cloppenburg is an international chain of fashion / clothing stores from Germany. The chain is operated by two separate and independent companies,
    Peek & Cloppenburg KG Düsseldorf (known as P&C West) and Peek & Cloppenburg KG Hamburg (known as P&C North).

- - ------- - -

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help  

?

Many thanks, Bob!
    That’s the best contender, so far. I’ve found nothing even close, and the fact that they were a producer of Luftwaffe tropical uniform is a strong support.
    It appears then, that it is only a partial ‘strike’ - Peek & Cloppe…’ - as the visible ink is clearly not long enough to accommodate the full name.
    As for the second line, which I took to be a location, I can’t make either possibility fit, so perhaps it is a preceding part of the address. I shall struggle some more…

I spent far too long yesterday, in attempting to get a clearer image, but the texture of the weave is such that ridge shadows are just as strong as the faded ink. In certain lighting situations, I am almost convinced that a depot stamp (apparently, H42), overlays this address line - merely adding to the confusion!

I shall battle on, but for now I’m happy to go with your suggestion, Bob. Just have to make it fit!
    Cheers and thank you for all your time and effort,
    Rob.
    Last edited by Kohima; 03-22-2024 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I can’t spell Cloppenburg either! Why is it so difficult?

I had forgotten the maker of a tropical Luftwaffe tunic I have, the tunic is made by P & C, here are the stampings ...

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK Tropenbluse 40 - maker help  

?

That’s it! Perfecto!
    Everything fits in now… the ‘BEHA’ explains the presence of what I took to be ‘H4*’, and I can now even detect the very feint traces of‘ ‘Berlin’ underneath. The whole, slightly eccentric balance of my stamp makes sense now.

No idea what the BEHA stands for and never would have guessed it to be incorporated, but I can now see the G of G.m.b.H. which follows… Clearly a poorly applied stamp in the first place.

Mystery well and truly solved!
    Nice to put another one to bed.
    Many thanks again, Bob!