Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Field Repairs on Feldbluse

Article about: Hello, I am new to Axis militaria and have questions about the commonality and extent of field repairs. Is a patch-work tunic like this common place? It almost looks like madras. The holes f

Default Field Repairs on Feldbluse

Hello,

I am new to Axis militaria and have questions about the commonality and extent of field repairs. Is a patch-work tunic like this common place? It almost looks like madras. The holes for the suspenders seem to have been closed as to be inoperable.

Thank you,
    Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Field Repairs on Feldbluse
    P
    Many

Quote by BrianFitzsimmons View Post
    Hello,

I am new to Axis militaria and have questions about the commonality and extent of field repairs. Is a patch-work tunic like this common place? It almost looks like madras. The holes for the suspenders seem to have been closed as to be inoperable.

Hello,
    What a survivor that is...!
    This Feldbluse 1933 modified 1940 has seen some action for sure.
    Period photos of german troops on the first line often show damaged Feldblusen and pants. The availability of such pieces of uniforms being very limited far from barracks and depots, the damaged garments were repaired by company tailors. Repaired Feldblusen in collection do exist, but they're far from being representative of the amount of repaired garments during the war. Most of damaged/repaired Feldblusen and pants ended in PoWs camps.

Your example has been heavily repaired, this Feldbluse did not receive patches but entire panels of woolen cloth. Repaired or elongated sleeves at the wrists are quite common, repaired pockets can also be seen, but large pieces of wool replacing the back of the sleeves or rear panels of the Feldbluse, that's less seen. The only time i've seen Feldblusen repaired this way was when a large quantity of german Feldblusen were released from a Pows camp not far from where i live. They were in very bad condition, worn in combat, worn in captivity and badly stored for 40 years. Only those placed at the center of the balls of Feldblusen were kept by collectors who managed to get the lot. Repairs like those on your example could be seen. Replaced or repaired pockets, sleeves made of different wools, replaced collars, one had even been re-cut in civilian way and dyed in black, with removed breast pockets, enlarged open collar and waist pockets without flaps, like a suit...

What's above the right breast pocket ?
    Is it remains of the Hoheitsabzeichen or only the use...or something else ?
    Are the front buttonholes very damaged or some buttons weren't resewn where they should have been ?
    Are the pockets flaps repaired/resewn above their buttonholes ?
    Does the other sleeve also has its back replaced ? (i see some unusual seams)
    Any story behind this Feldbluse or any known provenance ?
    Sorry for all thes questions, but sometimes the thruth hides in small details.
    Please could you provide photos of the sealed holes for belt hooks and from the interior of the Feldbluse ?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you, JPhilip!

The feldbluse is not mine, but one that I saw online and thought, "this is interesting," so I do not have the provenance. Here are the other photos. The liner has been gutted, presumably to make the sewing easier. I have a copy of your Feldbluse book, and I see that you recently published another. Is the second book still in publication?

Quote by BrianFitzsimmons View Post
    Thank you, JPhilip!

The feldbluse is not mine, but one that I saw online and thought, "this is interesting," so I do not have the provenance. Here are the other photos. The liner has been gutted, presumably to make the sewing easier. I have a copy of your Feldbluse book, and I see that you recently published another. Is the second book still in publication?
    Hello,
    You're welcome...
    Thanks for the additional photos, they're great, still smiling for what i thought while watching them
    The fact that you don't own this Feldbluse is good and bad things at the same time, bad because questions about details photographed and provenance can't be answered, but good because owning a Feldbluse in this condition can be tricky, there's no a lot of possibilities of use for a collector, apart leaving it alone on a cinder or a bust, the must being to set up a mannequin depicting a prisoner of war i guess (a Pow after four years of captivity i mean...).

This is indeed interesting to see such an item, thanks for posting it.

The book Feldbluse could have been better if the publishing house did not take initiatives without telling us what they were about to modify, some mistakes could have been easily corrected with a little bit of communication. Feldbluse was the last sign of a personal world that no longer exists and the achievement of the biggest emulation i've seen as a collector.

Feldgrauen is still for sale (it's the fourth book...). I can be reached via PMs
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

This looks like something you would see on ebay for $2000 as “original, WH, SS, combat worn……etc”