Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

First officer uniform

Article about: Hey guys,I have a small problem and i would like to get some advice form experienced fellow collectors. I'm searching for my very first German uniform,my knowledge is limited,but with every

?

Default First officer uniform

Hey guys,I have a small problem and i would like to get some advice form experienced fellow collectors.
    I'm searching for my very first German uniform,my knowledge is limited,but with every day getting better.
    The uniform im looking for is an M36 or 41 winter combat Officers tunic that belonged to a high ranking office - Major,Oberstleutenant or Oberst.
    I'm trying to find a tunic that is unmolested with,if the eagle has been restitched i could live with that and i have a budget of around 1300-1500 eur.
    My first question would be do you think my budget is sufficient enough?
    My second question would be what do you think of the uniform bellow,it has been offered to me for 1350 eur,but for a summer tunic i feel like that is a bit too much...
    It used to belonged to a fellow collector who is an admin in WAF so i have no doubts about the tunic.
    I'm keeping it as a backup if i cant find a winter one.
    Thanks in advance for the help!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First officer uniform   First officer uniform  

First officer uniform   First officer uniform  

First officer uniform  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First officer uniform
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Just a little bump for Ripper.

Can anyone provide some feedback / advice?

Thanks!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is a nice summer light weight tunic for an Infantry Officer. It does have some condition issues, be that mostly on the back and does have some nice award loops. Unit numerals are also a nice addition.
    That all being said if you are looking for a winter tunic this is really not something that would be in that realm. Also 1350 Euro or 1624 USD for a summer lightweight is ludicrous, im not sure how he is justifying the price. You can get a mint infantry tunic for a decent amount less.

My opinion would be to pass and find something you really want, and not spend yourself out on a overpriced item which is not in your desired field.

Morris

TWS
    ?

I agree with Morris to a large extent.

I like the tunic but also think the asking price is a little bit high. Lightweight tunics typically do not command the same price as wool. There are exceptions for cases like a named tunic with provenance, general officer, etc.

Not to get too pedantic, but technically an "M36" or "M41" would be an issue tunic for enlisted/NCO ranks. Although many officers, particularly company grade officers, would often obtain an issue tunic through supply channels, convert to their officer grade insignia, and wear the issue tunic in the field to spare their nice tailor made uniforms. To go even further down the worm hole, "M36", "M41" etc. are all collector designations. Das Deutsche Heer didn't make the same distinctions like we collectors do.

I could go on and belabor the point further, as German WWII uniforms are their own subculture in this hobby.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Oh, and a completely untouched issue enlisted tunic (all originally applied insignia) in very nice condition is going to be more than this officer tunic and more than many tailor made wool officer tunics (subject to the specifics of course). I know you're looking for an officer example, but just thought I point out one of the vagaries of WWII Heer tunic collecting.

Like this one I bagged at the last SOS.

First officer uniform
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Morris/Todd,

Thanks for helping out Ripper. Appreciated. These are out of my league.

I may be in the minority....but I prefer summer tunics like this over wool ones. I just like the nice look they develop with use.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks a lot for you words of wisdom guys!I do appreciate i a lot!I thought the price seemed waay too high..
    He is justifying the price with the fact the tunic has DKIG loops.The guy did some research and narrowed down the tunic to a couple of officers,but still there is no name tag.
    Todd thank you for adding that extra info about tunics!!!
    Last edited by Ripper; 02-04-2021 at 07:05 PM.

TWS
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Morris/Todd,

Thanks for helping out Ripper. Appreciated. These are out of my league.

I may be in the minority....but I prefer summer tunics like this over wool ones. I just like the nice look they develop with use.
    I like the summer, or "Sudfront" tunics esp. HBT as well, and my General der Infanterie tunic is "light-ish" weight. However, I like the full weight wool uniforms a little bit more.

Quote by Ripper View Post
    Thanks a lot for you world of wisdom guys!I do appreciate i a lot!I thought the price seemed waay too high..
    He is justifying the price with the fact the tunic has DKIG loops.The guy did some research and narrowed down the tunic to a couple of officers,but still there is no name tag.
    Todd thank you for adding that extra info about tunics!!!
    You are very welcome.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."