Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle

Article about: Hi Everyone, Found this the other day and wondered what other collectors thoughts and opinions would be. Looking at all the 1st pattern examples there would seem to be a couple of variants a

Default Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle

Hi Everyone,
    Found this the other day and wondered what other collectors thoughts and opinions would be. Looking at all the 1st pattern examples there would seem to be a couple of variants accepted as period, but nothing like this one on review. The level of workmanship and quality of the cuff is what caught my eye and with no other copies like this floating around that I can find, a reproduction seems unlikely.
    Could this perhaps have belonged to a Liaison type of officer...not headquarters staff but somehow attached to the HQ for one of the arms of the forces? Having had a few Afrika Corp cuffs I know that the officers would often private purchase better quality items for their uniforms...could this be a similar type of thing?...or is it just an old replica?
    Sure with the unrivalled expertise and experience gathered here the mystery will soon be solved!
    Many thanks to all who get involved, look forward to reading any contributions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle   Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle  

Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle   Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle
    P
    Many

Sorry for me it is a reproduction. I am not liking the quality or the material.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade, Thanks for your input. Do you mean a reproduction in the same way that this Kreigs cuff is a hand stitched, private purchase, one off reproduction of an accepted design made by an extremely talented, experienced craftsman or women? Think I agree with you... .of the two I know which I prefer for workmanship and quality, the FHQ, but that,s just my opinion. I am reviewing the contents of the pictures and website so I hope that fair use copyright applies.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle   Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle  

Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle   Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle  

I don't like that one either....
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Interesting! Yours is a lonely voice amongst so many saying otherwise. Michael, Moritz, Sierra, Erica, William, not to mention the dozen strong research department specifically assigned with positively authenticating each item at E Medals, the dozen or so bidders and all the hundreds who viewed it pre auction were all happy it was an original item. I know from experience, if it cant be proven to be authentic it doesnt go in their auction as theyr very protective of their international reputation for honesty and integrity.
    If I was the buyer of the Kreigs cuff do you feel confident that you can prove, in court, beyond reasonable doubt, that the item is bad and get me a refund of $957....785 plus 22% buyers premium...on the basis that you "dont like" it?...How would you even start?
    If the boot was on the other foot and the team at E Medals appraised your collection and said they didnt like half of it, would you be happy to bin those items and potentially throw away rare historic items that have survived nearly a hundred years on their opinion and guesswork?....kind of what I am facing with the FHQ. I have found a pair of originals belonging to the same man with solid documented provenance for $3500 per cuff so if I was to bin the FHQ and AFRIKACORP cuff shown it would be over $5000, using sales results and current market listings, that i would lose, based on a "dont like" from you Ade. I think at some stage the balance of proof has to swing more towards proving it wrong rather than having to prove its right and with a lack of numerous other copies and a similarity to other wartime pieces the weight of evidence would seem to be giving us the answer. The thread burns to ash and it has the aroma that only a vintage item acquires. Thats a hard one to fake in my book.
    If you didnt like the Kreigs you probably wouldnt have liked the Luftwaffe one they sold and you probably wont like the Afika korps either but I look forward to hearing your thoughts soon
    Thanks Ade, appreciate you getting involved.

Fuhrerhauptquartier Cufftitle  
    Last edited by Combatzone; 04-25-2024 at 09:38 AM.

Having something in hand is different to looking at a photo.

The problem with these black Africa and Afrikakorps cuff titles is that they are non regulation items.

Buy what you feel happy with. Don't take mine or anyone elses word.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,
    Thanks again for the advice, no need to be taking anybodies word when the evidence and its existence is proof enough. One of the most obvious hallmarks of reproductions is the number of them that are out there. If thats not there you are ignoring the best evidence you could ever have. The Afrika Korp that is the subject of your brilliantly informative sticky is a perfect example....and thats why you did the sticky....your yet to do one on FHQs though.
    As the man with all the answers I didnt spot a single one in your last post but I cant help but wonder what would be the outcome if I listed it on the forum classifieds or submitted it for auction at a well known Derbyshire auction house. Would my listing be removed and submission denied on the basis that its a reproduction?...seems my word is about as good as E Medals so dont take offence.
    At the end of the day, as Pauls1970 once so beautifully put it....we are "preservers of history"....not destroyers of unique historic artifacts.