Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?

Article about: I’ve been reading the previous posts regarding how to determine if a pith shield is authentic or a reproduction. From what I understand, there were different manufacturers that made them,

Default German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?

I’ve been reading the previous posts regarding how to determine if a pith shield is authentic or a reproduction.
    From what I understand, there were different manufacturers that made them, and each had subtle variations. For myself that makes it a little more confusing.

One recent post on this subject said that the “pebbling” or “dimpling” on the shield should always face outward, and if one sees “reversed” pebbling, then it is certainly not authentic. That seems easy enough to spot and easy to remember.

However, I’ve seen at least one highly reputable British militaria seller offer shields that indeed had reversed pebbling but claimed they were authentic.
    Whom do I believe? Is there a consensus here that reversed pebbling disqualifies a shield from being authentic?

Also, I have found examples of shields where the eagle’s leg has “scales” and others where they do not.
    Were they made both ways? Or is a this a clue to look for when attempting to pull authenticate a shield?

I have attached a few image close-ups of various pith helmet shields.

Would be very grateful to hear your comments, thoughts, and opinions.

By default, I am skeptical when I see a shield for sale, especially with how many good fakes there are out there.

German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?
    P
    Many

?

I bump this thread. Hopefully we can still see some extra comments on this.

These are in my fake box... reverse dimpled.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?   German Pith Helmet Shields… authentic vs. reproductions?  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "