Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review

Article about: Gentlemen, I have this M40 greatcoat I would appreciate your opinions on. It's of the later type with the 12cm wide collar, bearing shoulder-boards for an Oberfeldwebel of I believe the moto

?

Default Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review

Gentlemen,

I have this M40 greatcoat I would appreciate your opinions on. It's of the later type with the 12cm wide collar, bearing shoulder-boards for an Oberfeldwebel of I believe the motor-supply troops - the piping was originally a shade of blue that has faded to near-grey. One can see some of the original colour right down near the base of the piping where it disappears under the wool, and I think the brighter shade of blue is correct for supply as opposed to medical troops.

There are two faux-leather patches stitched to the interior rear at waist-height, just below the exterior rear belt - what might these be for?

Another mystery is the remains of stitching to the left lower sleeve, just above the cuff, in a diamond pattern - I know SS personnel wore diamond raute in this area, but would Heer troops have had similar insignia here? I know of round technical patches worn on the upper sleeve, etc. In the last photo below I have it outlined in red.

As always, thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review   Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review  

Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review   Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review  

Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review   Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer M40 greatcoat, Nachschubtruppe (?) for review
    P
    Many

?

Nice mantel. I agree that it is transport and supply.
    The leather reinforcement patches are to allow the belt support hooks of the tunic to pass through, when wearing equipment over the greatcoat.
    I’ll need to look into the sleeve insigne.

Hello,
    This is a wonderful example of the "M42" Mantel of late war production.
    Material are rough, like the wool for instance, this is one of the worst qualities i've seen in my collecting life. Slightly thicker, they could have made blankets with this wool.
    One can see that the back has been closed with handstitchings. This type of Mantel with large collar and open back was the norm at the time. Between both triangle made with a sewing machine at the back, it should be open.
    A great example for sure !
    This rayon in the sleeves is beautiful and the green lining reminds me a lot some material used inside tropical uniforms.
    Just check if the closed back and those stitchings on the sleeves were made or not with the same thread.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Just check if the closed back and those stitchings on the sleeves were made or not with the same thread.
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your detailed response, as always, JPhilip. I have checked and the back pleat stitching is different to the remains on the sleeve (black vs. dark-grey).