Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Heer Tropical Tunic

Article about: Hello all, I stumbled across this Heer Tropical Tunic that really caught my eye. All 4 German tunics I have are wool examples so this is a little foreign to me but I really like the look of

Finally got this in the mail today, it's definitely seen lots of use as it has some staining and that old tunic smell The shoulder straps glow under UV light as seen below which confirms them being reproductions (hopefully I can find some good, and cheap, replacements). The breast eagle does NOT glow which is a good sign; however, there's a small group of threads that DO glow on the eagle's right wing. Assuming this is post war stitching? I'm not quite sure why someone would stitch that area but perhaps it needed a repair? I know this tunic is far from mint but I'm very glad I finally got a tropical tunic without having to pay thousands Any and all comments are much appreciated! Hopefully I can take this one outside tomorrow if it doesn't rain again to get some better outside pictures!

Heer Tropical TunicHeer Tropical TunicHeer Tropical TunicHeer Tropical TunicHeer Tropical TunicHeer Tropical TunicHeer Tropical TunicHeer Tropical Tunic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Tropical Tunic
    P
    Many

Already looking at some shoulder straps to put on here, tropical ones are very pricey so thinking of getting some wool ones as mentioned by Kohima. Would something like these: (WWII German Army Signals NCO Shoulder Board Set – The Ruptured Duck, LLC) be reasonable to put with this tunic? I haven't put much thought into it as it's almost 1 am here but am anxious to get the repros off

Ripper glow! glad you have a definitive result, good work!

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Ripper glow! glad you have a definitive result, good work!
    Clear as day on those shoulder boards haha, what do you think about that spot on the breast eagle? Just post war stitching done by a previous collector?

Quote by chbingle View Post
    Clear as day on those shoulder boards haha, what do you think about that spot on the breast eagle? Just post war stitching done by a previous collector?
    Could be or maybe debris thread? I can't help unless I had it with my own black light

Can't say I've seen tons of breast eagles like this one; a buddy of mine who collects think its a repro but I'm not sure about that. I have seen a few others like it and the stitching looks fine to me, I just like to be thorough since I know everything is reproduced these days!

just for your reference I was offered this one once and declined, collars and eagle (eagle resewn) are all I could trust.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 09-15-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: changed text

Quote by chbingle View Post
    Would something like these: (WWII German Army Signals NCO Shoulder Board Set – The Ruptured Duck, LLC) be reasonable to put with this tunic?
    You would then be repeating the mistake of putting NCO straps on an EM jacket. You need one without the Tresse tape around the edge. The straps were one looker bad anyway, but many types of perfectly original Waffenfarbe piping from wartime does glow, so beware not to discount items just because of glowing piping.

Thanks for the info, that’s why I shouldn’t shop at 1am!

?

Hi CH!
    The tunic looks great! I’m really glad you got it and are rightly pleased with it.
    As nick points out, there was plenty of synthetic thread in use from the mid-1930s, think nylon and rayon for example, so a black light test should never be taken as proof positive of date, merely an indication of material.
    I shouldn’t worry at all about the few stitches on the Adler, nothing at all. It may simply be a stain, rather than the thread itself. It’s not visible to the naked eye anyway, so of no importance.

It’s a truly cracking looking tunic, retaining a good, bold colour, with just the right level of wear.
    I’m very happy for you. I’d be chuffed to have that one in my collection.
    I’ll try to dig out some good Mediterranean photos for your reference.

Well done again and all the best,
    Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast