Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Waffenrock and Cape?

Article about: Greetings everyone. Hoping to pick up my first uniform and would love some opinions. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to uniforms but this one looks ok from my opinion. The cape I have 0

Default Heer Waffenrock and Cape?

Greetings everyone. Hoping to pick up my first uniform and would love some opinions.

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to uniforms but this one looks ok from my opinion. The cape I have 0 experience with so would love some thoughts if they are impossible to find or get a hold of, cant find comparables anywhere really..Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?Heer Waffenrock and Cape?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Waffenrock and Cape?
    P
    Many

Uniform is of an Oberfeldwebel rank in infantry. It appears the Adler has been (poorly) reapplied. I would expect to see this machine sewn. The cape is unknown to me and it might not be German. Any markings? NH

Thanks for the help! Yeah the Cape is unusual to me, no markings it seems on it. It’s insual to see these hand applied?

?

If hand applied, the fitting of the Adler would always be far better executed than this...
    Not a difficult thing to rectify. I would go for a high-quality example, fitted with a fine hand-stitch (without going through the lining, of course; No self respecting tailor would do that)!

However, it is otherwise a very nice tunic indeed, dated 1937, with the added bonus of the original wearer’s name and unit (opening an avenue for possibe research).

As for the cape, there is not really enough to go on from the photos, but the materials put me in mind of a Bundeswehr item, though I could well be wrong there. Actually, I think I am. It may well be period, though I wouldn’t say it goes with the tunic. I wonder if it’s a drivers’ cape, for horse-drawn transport.

It’s the tunic that counts for me, but a drivers’ cape would be a good find (if that’s what it is)!
    I’m rambling. Wait for somebody who knows!

Best of luck,
    Bob

TWS
    ?

Waffenrock looks like a good basic original, with the caveat already noted about the restitched breast eagle. I happen to have a Waffenrock to the same exact Infantry Regiment and it too has the laundry tag sewn in it. The unit may have enforced that among its soldiers.
    The cape is an item that I have seen from time to time but not studied and I have never owned one, so can't be certain about it. They called it an "Umhang" and I've seen it used by officers, not NCO's. If I recall, it is discussed in Angolia and Schlicht.

wow very interesting about the cape! Someone said it might possible be a Klepper? It truly is funny how these things get around and with the same unit its really fascinating to me.

Hello,

The eagle has been replaced and it is the incorrect eagle. The eagle on here should be either a 1st or second pattern flatwire eagle.

Fred

As said above, capes were worn by officers only.

The 1939 Kleiderkasse catalog listed five different types/qualities of cape: A rubber cape in a single- and a double layer version, a uniform cape of impregnated, fine-quality cape cloth in an unlined and a lined version and a lightweight "Klepper" brand rain cape made of rubberized cambric that came with its own packing bag.

(A lightweight raincoat of the same material was available as well.)

Thank you all and HPL for the cape info! I had someone inform that it looks like a Klepper but that was just an opinion. Ill try and post some more photos of the piece when I get a moment!