Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Heer Waffenrock to an Oberleutnant, Inf.Rgt.72

Article about: Hello all, I've been looking for a nice parade tunic, and this one had caught my eye for about the right money. Waffenrock to an Oberleutnant of Infantry Regiment 72. From my basic research

?

Default Heer Waffenrock to an Oberleutnant, Inf.Rgt.72

Hello all,

I've been looking for a nice parade tunic, and this one had caught my eye for about the right money. Waffenrock to an Oberleutnant of Infantry Regiment 72. From my basic research I think it looks ok, but I would of course appreciate the opinion of those better versed before purchasing. All opinions and comments welcome and appreciated.

PS. Forum etiquette dictates I should post the awards and the cap in their separate respective forums for authentication, correct?

Thank you!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer Waffenrock to an Oberleutnant, Inf.Rgt.72  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer Waffenrock to an Oberleutnant, Inf.Rgt.72
    P
    Many

That's a horrible restoration. Wrong field uniform tabs and those slip-on boards on a dress tunic is a big joke. Underside of collar also ripped out. If you have to compromise that much just because of budget, you're better off buying a ground up repro.

?

Oh dear... I really am still finding my way with these. Of course I should have noticed the collar tabs were not on their proper waffenfarbe base. Funny, the advertisement mentions that the collar tabs were attached 'sloppily', an obvious red flag. So for a parade tunic such as this the shoulder boards should always be sewn on? The more you know...

TWS
    ?

Nick is spot on. Wrong style of collar tabs for a Waffenrock. Also the usage of slip-on shoulder boards with a Waffenrock is highly unusual.

I want to say I once saw a Waffenrock with slip-on boards that had a credible backstory. Something like the soldier had been an NCO and then got promoted during the war and he updated his Waffenrock even though it was late(ish) in the war - some guys did update them - and for whatever reason this individual had attached slip-on boards to replace his NCO shoulder straps. Perhaps because by that point he was accustomed to using slip-on shoulder boards on his field tunics. The story also included the aspect that the Waffenrock was straight from the woodwork and hadn't been in collector hands. Regardless, that example was pretty unsusual and slip-on straps and boards are not encountered with Waffenröcke.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Quote by TWS View Post
    Nick is spot on. Wrong style of collar tabs for a Waffenrock. Also the usage of slip-on shoulder boards with a Waffenrock is highly unusual.

I want to say I once saw a Waffenrock with slip-on boards that had a credible backstory. Something like the soldier had been an NCO and then got promoted during the war and he updated his Waffenrock even though it was late(ish) in the war - some guys did update them - and for whatever reason this individual had attached slip-on boards to replace his NCO shoulder straps. Perhaps because by that point he was accustomed to using slip-on shoulder boards on his field tunics. The story also included the aspect that the Waffenrock was straight from the woodwork and hadn't been in collector hands. Regardless, that example was pretty unsusual and slip-on straps and boards are not encountered with Waffenröcke.
    Thank you, Todd. This particular example is in fact being sold with that particular story, would you believe; an Oberfeldwebel promoted to Oberleutnant after 1943. So that could conceivably be the case. But as for the collar tabs... no excuse for those being there.

I would pass on it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

TWS
    ?

Quote by Fiore View Post
    Thank you, Todd. This particular example is in fact being sold with that particular story, would you believe; an Oberfeldwebel promoted to Oberleutnant after 1943. So that could conceivably be the case. But as for the collar tabs... no excuse for those being there.
    Yeah, could be roughly the same scenario.

However, since you seemed to indicate you are looking for your first Waffenrock, I would pass on this one and search for a "textbook" example. You want one that you never have to explain away any abnormalities.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Quote by TWS View Post
    Yeah, could be roughly the same scenario.

However, since you seemed to indicate you are looking for your first Waffenrock, I would pass on this one and search for a "textbook" example. You want one that you never have to explain away any abnormalities.
    I already have another lined up for the inspection of my esteemed betters here on the forum!