Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!

Article about: I was looking to purchase a m40 German tunic and came across this. I would like assistance in authenticating it before I fork out money on a fake. Thanks!

Default I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!

I was looking to purchase a m40 German tunic and came across this. I would like assistance in authenticating it before I fork out money on a fake. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!   I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!  

I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!   I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!  

I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!   I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I would like help authenticating a m40 uniform!
    P
    Many

The M40 tunics were not produced with a green collar, although some soldiers added a green collar themselves. With this tunic though, there is little sign of wear and I strongly suspect that it is a repro with older buttons added. It doesn't appear to have ever had any collar patches or breast eagle attached, although better photographs would prove one way or the other.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks! I don’t think I could get better photos. Do you think it would be possible for it to be a supply depot piece?

As already stated, the bottle green collar would make this an M36 uniform. Can't help on originality, but the overall appearance of it doesn't give me good vibes.

B.B.

I did assume it was a m 40 just on looks. I know you should never assume anything in this hobby/lifestyle it could cost you a good bit of money. If it is a m36 then what should you look for to deem it authentic so I and others reading this fourm can tell if they come across one.

As I said before could it be a depot peice?

I can only repeat what I have already said. To me it does not look genuine, but that is only MY opinion, and I may be wrong! Those shoulder boards do not belong to it either, and do not be seduced into thinking it is original because of that belt draped around it. Do not fall into the trap of giving yourself reasons why it could be genuine, and concentrate on the reasons why it might not be. There is a wealth of information on this forum that will give you the answers you require if you are prepared to do a bit of reading up yourself.

Cheers,
    Steve

I can not agree more! Just a thought What tips you off towards it not being original? I would like to know what to look for to tell if it is an original for later purposes, thanks for you time!

?

There appears to be an SS-BW stamp (?) inside the front placket, therefore not a Heer item.
    As mentioned above, the photographs are not of sufficient quality and clarity to enable a true appraisal of the item, and while it looks promising in parts, like BB, I’m not immediately convinced by this tunic.

All the best,
    Bob

I now see the stamp clearer. I had no idea what the stamp was and figured it was some sort of stamp that went into them all. I researched into a as tunic with the green coller. It seems like there were some number that existed. If it is a SS tunic then what exactly should you look for to see if it is authentic? Are those things present?