Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

KM Officer with Silver 'C' Glider Badge AND U-Boat Badge

Article about: Seems like a really odd combination, and I'm not sure what his role was. Did they launch aircraft from submarines? I'm wondering if it's possible to identify him, since there is (somewhere)

Default KM Officer with Silver 'C' Glider Badge AND U-Boat Badge

Seems like a really odd combination, and I'm not sure what his role was. Did they launch aircraft from submarines?

I'm wondering if it's possible to identify him, since there is (somewhere) a list of Silver C recipients, and I doubt there are many submariners on it.

--Kevin

KM Officer with Silver 'C' Glider Badge AND U-Boat BadgeKM Officer with Silver 'C' Glider Badge AND U-Boat Badge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KM Officer with Silver 'C' Glider Badge AND U-Boat Badge
    P
    Many

?

I know the Japanese used submarine based aircraft a lot, but never heard anything on the Germans using any. A quick Wikipedia search produced this:

"The Kriegsmarine (German navy) also started development of submarines capable of launching aircraft and ordered four very large "cruiser" U-boats in early 1939. These boats were to be twice as large as any existing U-boat and were to have had a crew of 110 while carrying a single Arado Ar 231 floatplane, but were cancelled at the outbreak of war later that year.

Although not strictly an aircraft, some U-boats carried the Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 (English: Wagtail). It was a type of rotary-wing kite, known as a gyroglider or rotor kite. They were towed behind German U-boats during World War II and allowed a lookout in the kite to see further.

Type IX D 2-"Monsun"
    Another German long range U-boat was the Type IX D2 "Monsun", used in the Indian Ocean and Far East Area based in Penang (Occupied Malaya). To aid such submarines the observation "Autogyro-Kite" Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 "Bachstelze" (Wagtail) was developed. This was used in the Indian Ocean and sporadically in the Southern Atlantic but its use hindered the submarine's ability to submerge quickly. "

Maybe this guy was a lookout in one of these "Wagtails."

Aiur, you are right on with your conclusion. Early this morning somebody gave me his name -- Jobst Schaefer. He was a medical officer aboard U-862 and piloted the Fa 330 on their secret mission to Australia.

--Kevin

?

That's awesome you found the story and pictures to go with it. When I get home from work, I'm going to see if I can find any pictures of this glider actually deployed behind a U-boat.

?

There is a YouTube video showing the launch and return of one. I don't know if YouTube links are okay to post, so "Focke-Achgelis Fa 330 Bachstelze deployed from an U-boat (c1942)" is the title if anyone is interested.