Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'

Article about: Gentlemen, I have an unusual one for your assistance today - a summer tunic for a Korvettenkapitän based in 'Festung Lorient'. Tunic is executed in a tough denim-like cotton in a light sage

?

Default Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'

Gentlemen,

I have an unusual one for your assistance today - a summer tunic for a Korvettenkapitän based in 'Festung Lorient'. Tunic is executed in a tough denim-like cotton in a light sage-green/tan, maker marked 'F. Engel, Hadersleben', a Danish clothing company still operating today. All buttons are removable, as is the metal breast eagle and the shoulder boards, for ease of washing I presume.

The shoulder boards are on a black wool base with metal cyphers for (I believe) signal engineers branch? The attachment is not something I've seen before: at the base they slip through a slot in the tunic shoulder, and are held in place by a small flexible stick through a sleeve in the wool base (one sadly broken). The buttons they attach to are held to fabric strips by flexible prongs (like cap insignia), again I presume for ease of removal.

On the left sleeve is a standard German ID disc that has been stamped 'Festung Lorient'. Has definite patina and shows differential fading underneath. I know these are easily faked, however.

Button-hole ribbon for a KVK 2nd class and loops to the left breast pocket for, presumably, a KVK 1st class and something else.

The 'matching' breeches that came with the tunic have had the internal buttons replaced with odds and ends, while the fly buttons are marked 'Chic Solidite', which sounds French, lending just a little credence to the Lorient story of the set. The breeches are named to a 'G. Horn'. Otherwise unmarked.

Anything not right that stands out? KM isn't my really me area just yet.

Thanks for looking!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'   Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'  

Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'   Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'  

Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'   Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'  

Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine summer tunic to a Korvettenkapitän, 'Festung Lorient'
    P
    Many

?

Anyone care to venture an opinion? It's an uncommon one, it seems, but here's hoping...

I can't comment on the authenticity, but it sure looks good !!!

?

Quote by Bob Lyons View Post
    I can't comment on the authenticity, but it sure looks good !!!
    Yes, it sure looks the part But you never know...