Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"

Article about: Some may have seen my recently acquired Fliegerbluse in my "SOS Haul" thread. I just got in the appropriate Tombak "ROAG" badge that this young man probably wore and can

TWS
    ?

Default Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"

Some may have seen my recently acquired Fliegerbluse in my "SOS Haul" thread. I just got in the appropriate Tombak "ROAG" badge that this young man probably wore and can now set up the Bluse for display. Had to get an early, worn badge to match the date and the (very apparent) wear showing on the Bluse.

I went with a private purchase belt because it was the top one in my box of Luftwaffe belts. It's really nice with felt backing, maker's logo, and extra tab behind the buckle, all to prevent chafing of the uniform. Probably just for parade and walking out use, but it looks all right on the Bluse. As I edited the photos, I realized you can see that I didn't latch the pin of the badge into the catch. I never do unless it's needed to prevent the badge from "jutting out" from the uniform.

As this Fliegerbluse arrived in the U.S. from Australia in the 1990's, I want to thank Bob L. for contributing some probable knowledge about its post-war journey to me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"   Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"  

Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"   Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"  

Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"   Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"  

Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Aircrew Fliegerbluse "Battle of Britain"
    P
    Many

?

Great set up.
    Cheers,
    Colin

?

Hello TWS, wooow beautiful.
    Regards,
    Peeloo

?

Splendid Fliegerbluse, Todd,
    Technically, he shouldn’t be wearing the unqualified aircrew badge, to the left cuff, and an aircrew qualification badge together; the former being replaced by the latter upon qualification.
    That said, there is photographic evidence to prove this was occasionally done. Naughty, but certainly not unheard of!
    All the best,
    Rob.
    Last edited by Kohima; 03-13-2024 at 06:09 PM.

Superb!

TWS
    ?

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Splendid Fliegerbluse, Todd,
    Technically, he shouldn’t be wearing the unqualified aircrew badge, to the left cuff, and an aircrew qualification badge together; the former being replaced by the latter upon qualification.
    That said, there is photographic evidence to prove this was occasionally done. Naughty, but certainly not unheard of!
    All the best,
    Rob.
    Rob, thanks so much for the pointer about the regulations. I'm not on top of Luftwaffe regs to the extent I am on Heer. So, you mean to tell me I could have saved all that money I spent on the ROAG? Our boy might have just worn something like the Sportabzeichen in those loops... of which I already have several examples.

I'm kidding. I'll use any excuse to buy a nice badge.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Sport badge, wound badge… afraid so!
    I’m sure you’ll find something else to put that lovely gunner’s badge on though, Todd!
    As I say, there were aircrew who either ignored or, perhaps, weren’t even aware of the regulation, so it may not be technically right, but it’s not historically wrong either!

Together or apart, a couple of splendid pieces.

TWS
    ?

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Sport badge, wound badge… afraid so!
    I’m sure you’ll find something else to put that lovely gunner’s badge on though, Todd!
    As I say, there were aircrew who either ignored or, perhaps, weren’t even aware of the regulation, so it may not be technically right, but it’s not historically wrong either!

Together or apart, a couple of splendid pieces.
    Thanks again Rob.

Yes, we who study period photos know all manner of shenanigans went on with respect to uniforms. There were even common trends that our observations have revealed, but I digress.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."