Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Patches - How to know they're "real?"

Article about: I'm sure this info. is covered somewhere on this site, but I haven't found it yet.....Hoping I can get some guidance and opinions on the "best ways" to verify whether any particula

Default Luftwaffe Patches - How to know they're "real?"

I'm sure this info. is covered somewhere on this site, but I haven't found it yet.....Hoping I can get some guidance and opinions on the "best ways" to verify whether any particular Luftwaffe Patch is real or fake?
    With Medals and "hard" items, there are a number of ways to figure this out, but qualifying Patches is a real mystery to me..... While I was at an antique store recently, visiting with the Owner (who prided himself on "knowing" the originality of the military items he was selling), he showed me a WW2 Luftwaffe flying Eagle Patch he was selling. He then took a lighter and put the flame near the patch until he "singed" a few of the loose threads. He then said..."Yep, it's real."......How could he tell?? Looks like he was basing his evaluating it on how it "smelled," or maybe the "way" the threads burned.....Seemed very archaic and trivially simple to me....Couldn't believe that was enough scrutiny to tell if it was, in fact, real?
    Any info. and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Harold

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Patches - How to know they're "real?"
    P
    Many

testing for nylon?

?

Hello,
    I belive he was trying to do what is known as the "burn test." It is when you take a loose thread or two and burn them to see the speed that they burn. Many newer items are treated to make them less flammable while older items are typically not. In general, this should mean that the older threads light up and burn much better than newer material.
    In theory this works however unless you have done this many times and know how different materials burn, you should compare it to a newer thread of the same material (or as close as possible) for a good comparison. Even then it is never 100%, as fakers can still find ways to get around this.
    May I suggest that you add photos of the item in question. I'm sure the patch experts could help you with authenticity.

Regards,
    Daniel

Well a picture may help no?

Thumbs up

Quote by Daniel View Post
    Hello,
    I belive he was trying to do what is known as the "burn test." It is when you take a loose thread or two and burn them to see the speed that they burn. Many newer items are treated to make them less flammable while older items are typically not. In general, this should mean that the older threads light up and burn much better than newer material.
    In theory this works however unless you have done this many times and know how different materials burn, you should compare it to a newer thread of the same material (or as close as possible) for a good comparison. Even then it is never 100%, as fakers can still find ways to get around this.
    May I suggest that you add photos of the item in question. I'm sure the patch experts could help you with authenticity.

Regards,
    Daniel
    Thanks for your input Daniel. I was hoping their might be some "ingenious tests or tried & true ways" to determine if a Patch is real or not........As you say.....On this type of item, the Fakers can still probably find a work around to reproduce Patches.....I haven't actually purchased a specific Patch yet, but I'll try to get some photos of the one I am really looking at hard right now and post them to "the Patch experts.".....Probably the best way to go. Thanks for your recommendations.
    Harold

I'll try to get some Photos of the Patch I may be buying and will post them up as soon as I can.
    Thanks.
    Harold