Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic

Article about: I’ve had this Tunic for a number of years. It was completely stripped of all insignia post war. It’s taken me a long time to finally find the correct Infantry insignia which I wanted wit

?

Default M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic

I’ve had this Tunic for a number of years. It was completely stripped of all insignia post war. It’s taken me a long time to finally find the correct Infantry insignia which I wanted with just the right amount of ‘wear’ to match the base Tunic. Last week I got a professional Tailor to sew on all of the insignia and so at long last, here it is. It’s a M36 Tunic, which was period shortened at the skirt with the hip pocket edges sewn down at the edges to give a smarter appearance as was the fashion at the time. The insignia which I have added comprises M38 Pattern Dark Green white piped Shoulder Boards, 3rd Pattern Grey on Dark Green Breast Eagle, M36 backed and piped Infantry Collar Tabs and a Gefreiter Rank Chevern on Dark Green base. (If anyone can decipher the manufacturer’s markings, it would be much appreciated. I think it’s OSTM….. And then BEKL…. And then another word). Thanks, Colin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic   M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic  

M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic   M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic  

M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic   M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic
    P
    Many

Very nicely done.

I suspect the second word will be bekleidung (Clothing in English) not a lot of help I know..

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi ME110,
    Perhaps the first word in the stamp on that great tunic could be Ostmark?
    Adrian Stevenson seems to have the next stamp pinned down (I suspect he posted while at work)
    The last line of the stamp looks almost like a placename followed by a BA mark.
    Hope I'm not to far off?
    Thanks for another interesting post.

?

I think the last line of the stamp is Vernen BA.
    Perhaps an Anchluss piece from Austria?

Hello,
    Sorry i can't help you more than what has been said already concerning the maker's marks...
    That's a very decent Feldbluse 1933 modified 1936 that you got there, congrats. More than shortened, it's been fitted to the man who wore it. Perhaps could you also provide a photo of the size/depot markings, it would be great. The restoration is well done. Why the Gefreiter chevron? Is there the shadow of a chevron on the sleeve?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Hello JP,
    Please find additional attached photos as requested.
    Although the size markings are visible, the Clothing Depot acceptance marking is faded. It’s a very small size.
    Out of interest, in addition to being shortened at the skirt, how can you tell that it has been specifically tailored for the man?
    On the additional photos, you can see what looks like a leaking pen ink stain on the inside of one of the hip pockets and a period repair to the left breast pocket - possibly where a badge pin has been inserted?
    The Breast Eagle is not quite straight, so I might ask the Tailor to straighten it up - thoughts?
    With regards to the Gefreiter Chevron, no, there is no faded evidence of a Chevron having been attached previously, but there is a moth hole there which the chevron now hides. I thought long and hard about attaching it. I’m loathe to alter the configuration of a wartime piece, but on the other hand it is a full restoration and I’ve no idea if the Tunic was originally issued to an Infantryman or Artilleryman etc, or what specific type and model of insignia was originally applied. I could always get the Tailor to remove the Chevron? Thoughts and opinions welcome?
    Kind regards, Colin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic   M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic  

M36 Infantry Gefreiter Tunic  

Hello,
    Thanks for posting new photos. Yes the size is rather small...how i know it's been fitted to the soldier?.....if i simply say that i know and that's it, you won't be satisfied i guess, so, no matter the size of the Feldbluse, rear holes for the hooks were located at a certain distance of the side panels. Looking at your Feldbluse makes me think that the soldier asked for a maximum fit but did not want to get rid of the rear holes.
    Concerning the eagle, everything can be seen on period photos, inclined, straight....IMO not a big issue.
    For the chevron, covering a hole with it is also ok i guess...some would say that "it's inventing a story that never happened" as the sleeve does not have any sign of an insignia previously sewn. There are several conceptions of how to deal with tunics if they're incomplete, stripped or damaged. Some do not modify or touch anything, leaving the tunic in the condition they found it, some others repair, modify, add insignia to create the Feldbluse of their dreams, with cuffband, famous units shoulderboards, the Feldbluse they would never be able to afford if all insignia were period applied...and finally those who simply put the things back as they were at the time, sewing an eagle or a pair of Litzen and making one or two slight repairs if needed. You and your Feldbluse enter the last category, IMO a sleeve chevron of Gefreiter is not a try to pimp the tunic...
    It is impossible to know the branch of service in which served the man who wore this Feldbluse (as it has no unit markings), so the choice is yours. Infanterie is a classic that never gets old...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)