Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...

Article about: Hi Darren, to tell if something is die struck you need to look at the edge of the insignia. These badges were formed by being made out of pressed metal. Imagine a pastry cutter. The press co

?

Default Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...

Picked these up with a lot of other misc militaria. From my research these came in a variety of shapes and designs so I need some help. What do you guys think?

Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need opinions on these Panzer Collar Tab Skulls...

They look OK to me.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Hi Vegar. Thanks for the reply. They look good to me too, but that isn't saying much Do you have examples like this in your collection? I'm trying to learn as much about things as I collect them so what about these two tabs makes you believe they're good?

Hi Darren, I am not keen on these.

They appear to be cast and not die struck. Look around the edges and see how rough they appear. A die struck insignia will have sheer marks around the edge from the stamping process.

The pins look a bit crude to me and also the finish looks really odd.

I have shown my single Panzer collar tab on the forum in the past.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade,

I agree. I had a close look under a good magnifying glass and you can see where the casting edges were ground down around the outer edges of each tab. I was really hoping these were good. Oh well, I'll keep them as examples of cast fakes in case I run into any more down the road.

Thanks Ade!
    Dzyner

They look good to me. The Panzer Totenkopfs are one of my favorite pieces and from the position of the prongs as well as the detail in the face they look good to me. Now the finish on them is another story that may be cleared up on how you came about them but I agree it is odd.

?

I have no idea on these, I like them, but still no idea.

The one on the right looks like it has been cut off something, with that lump on the top, much like you would see when you cut a plastic model part off a sprue. Just something I noticed

Quote by qotd View Post
    The one on the right looks like it has been cut off something, with that lump on the top, much like you would see when you cut a plastic model part off a sprue. Just something I noticed
    Exactly, not good to see. These should be die struck.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade,

I am learning.....slowly!

?

Hey guys. The piece you're referring to is not what it appears to be. It's actually a very small piece of the metal that has broken and bent outward. It isn't flashing like on a model. Its a bit difficult to see in the photo.

To Ade's point, it does appear to be cast, but I don't know enough about what to look for to confirm it on my end through close inspection. If Ade says its cast then I believe his eyes more than mine. I (of course) want to believe they're authentic, but if indeed they're cast, and they didn't manufacture them via casting process during the war, then I guess it doesn't matter how much I "want to believe"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast